What tooling can be made by an ammeter

andrew butt

Registered
Registered
I am a young person with limited experience in machining my father has some machine tools and i am wondering what tools e:g tap wrench, hammer, center punch i could make with only a lathe a mill and a few hand tools

i would be grateful for any ideas

thankyou
andrew

'with only a lathe a mill and a few hand tools' what can be made? Whatever you can envision really. My Professors are here & on UTube. i am only a student. Whatever it is you desire to create: Someone has documented their version of accomplishing it. Who knows: You might have a better idea or approach!

thankyou for your ideas and that document
i have all ready made a clamp a center punch and a brass hammer in metal shop class at school and have really enjoyed it
any more ideas would be apreciated

With "just" those tools you can do almost anything!

What tool post do you have now on the lathe?
If only a rocker or 4-way type, maybe you need to build an upgrade like a quick-change tool post.
There are a few styles look up Aloris, Norman (easier to make).
If you already have a quick-change, then how about some more tool holders?

User @mickri made a nice norman-style one here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tool-post-holder.69487/

You could make a carriage stop that clamps to the lathe bed; very useful for repeat parts.
Again there are many types, single finger, multi stop, indicator based ones, etc.

Is there anyway to mount a rear tool-post to your lathe. Those are great for parting.

How about tooling for the mill?
I know I can never find the slitting saw arbour that I need and usually have to stop and make one in the middle of doing something else.

There are several styles of mill vise stops that are useful; some clamp to the jaw edge, some to the table.
Look at the ones from Edge Technologies for ideas, then build your own version.

You could build a tooling plate and clamps for holding stuff too small and awkward for the mill vise.

What ever you decide to build, please take some photos and post the build here.

Have fun and Be safe!
-brino

Last edited:
thank you for the advise i currently have a lantern style toolpost on my hercus 9 inch lathe and was thinking of making a 4 way toolpost as i have used 1 on the lathes at school and found it much better

Is what it is andrew butt. Most horizonal mills (if they're old school) have an optional vertical head. Mills turn a cutter to shape a stationary object. Lathes turn an object to be shaped by a stationary cutter. Perhaps that is oversimplifying it. But, truth is either can be set up to act as if it were the other. Just takes imagination & a willingness to try.​

It is just as easy to make a norman QCTP as it is to make a four way. Maybe easier. I summarized making my norman QCTP in this thread. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/ You can make one with just a lathe and a drill. The only thing a mill is used for is to cut the slot. This can be done on the lathe by putting an end mill in a chuck. Clamp the tool holder to the post and use the cross slide to move the tool holder to cut the slot. I can take some pictures of the set up if you need them. The slot can be cut on your horizontal mill too.

Welcome to the forum.

Is what it is andrew butt. Most horizonal mills (if they're old school) have an optional vertical head. Mills turn a cutter to shape a stationary object. Lathes turn an object to be shaped by a stationary cutter. Perhaps that is oversimplifying it. But, truth is either can be set up to act as if it were the other. Just takes imagination & a willingness to try.​

yes mine has a vertical head it was made in Germany in the 30's i think. when i was saying i only have a horizontal mill i meant i don't have a quill for drilling

Back