What type of information should be in here?

Can we post "request for informations" in this forum?
Of course for information about general things, for example about the difference between the various type of collets (I still don't understand it… :pondering:)

I have to agree with some others, this should be a "resource" with a compilation of technical information geared for the beginer like me.

But adding another location for discussion will "water down" the rest of the forums. But thanks for the great thought of creating this for new guys like me!!:victory:

Please feel free to add stuff you think should be in here.

A lot of the stickies in this forum have been left open INTENTIONALLY so that you guys can supplement them with useful information on the topics that you have. Thanks!

I think it should be a resource location and not a Q&A area. Questions belong in the general machining forum. But how many times does "how do I knurl" need to be asked? If it the math was in there with a spreadsheet for some basic wheels and maybe setup pictures, you would have what you need for that subject.

Same would apply for other things. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the various collect systems? How do I hold a cylindrical piece to the mill table so the top face can be machined? And so on.

The OP should never post a question that he or she doesn't answer in the same post. Subsequent post in the same should address other methods to accomplish the same thing or clarify an important point.

I think projects of all types belong in the project forums.

Dave

We're going to try to do both. Most of the stickies are open so they can be supplemented with more resources.

If you have a question about how to do something, you can also ask in the forum.

I think a very important skill for newbies to learn is something my own skill set is lacking in.

Proper drawings of a part.

Most newbies will just "wing it" when it comes to a project. While this works just fine on a lot of things, there's a chance that someone else may want to make one for themselves! Knowing how to read, and how to make, drawings is important. Quality isn't important at first, just the ability to convey the idea and measurements so the part can be made by others.

Case in point - my vertical spindle for my horizontal mill. I have a few sketches, fewer dimensions, and some things I decided on "off the cuff", with no documentation of dimensions, sizes, etc. I'm fairly well "winging it", and thankfully most dimensions aren't critical. The mounting plate was the correct thickness when it cleaned up, and the final dimensions of the outside of the spindle housing will be whenever fly cutting leaves a nice surface.

Just my 2 cents.

I think a very important skill for newbies to learn is something my own skill set is lacking in.

Proper drawings of a part.

Most newbies will just "wing it" when it comes to a project. While this works just fine on a lot of things, there's a chance that someone else may want to make one for themselves! Knowing how to read, and how to make, drawings is important. Quality isn't important at first, just the ability to convey the idea and measurements so the part can be made by others.

Case in point - my vertical spindle for my horizontal mill. I have a few sketches, fewer dimensions, and some things I decided on "off the cuff", with no documentation of dimensions, sizes, etc. I'm fairly well "winging it", and thankfully most dimensions aren't critical. The mounting plate was the correct thickness when it cleaned up, and the final dimensions of the outside of the spindle housing will be whenever fly cutting leaves a nice surface.

Just my 2 cents.

+1 on drafting!!!

"that lazy machinist" is making a YouTube video series on reading blueprints right now. http://youtu.be/dw3CrHMtzMk. He is a retired college machine shop teacher.

I wish someone made a simple low cost beginner drafting program today. I took a year of drafting in high school and a semester of drafting in college which was a little hand drafting and a lot of autocad. The autocad back then was cheap and straight foward. The cad programs today all seem prohibitively expensive for a hobbyist. I just started learning Freecad on my own last week and for all the effort involved I'm ready to give it up and stick with hand drawing stuff. Do you know of any good home instruction in an inexpensive or free cad or drafting program?

Chris

" I'm ready to give it up and stick with hand drawing stuff.
Chris

Don't give up Chris.

I too just started to try and learn a CAD program. I have tried many times before and gave up but this time I'm not going to quit. I tried to find a local adult education course but no luck. I down loaded the trial version of Cubify Inventor and am having my son Trevor help me while he is home from school for break. I'm not giving up.

Don't give up Chris.

I too just started to try and learn a CAD program. I have tried many times before and gave up but this time I'm not going to quit. I tried to find a local adult education course but no luck. I down loaded the trial version of Cubify Inventor and am having my son Trevor help me while he is home from school for break. I'm not giving up.

Made a lot of progress on FREEcad today. Now I just need to find the magic button to make the dimentions appear on the drawing.

chris

60090034e18ad4cb68dfb7eede3082e0_zps44cb6eb6.jpg

I have to agree with everything above. My 2 cents on the priority would be sections as follows:

1. Equipment description and function by size and type including the most common brands found.

2. The new vs. used question for those buying a machine - more than just get the biggest used US made machine. Define work envelope and capabilities - ties into or is part of item 1.

3. Tooling - must haves, should haves, would like to haves, and the places they are available.

4. Basic operation by machine type - include safety, correct work holding, fixturing, speed/feed, tool selection, set up...

5. Materials - types of aluminum, steel, brass, bronze, copper, titanium, fasteners, bearings... and where to purchase. Ideas on how to create a materials list

6. Measuring and the tools used and skills required to correctly measure your parts accurately, including a section on DRO use.

7. Suggested project list organized by skill acquisition. For example I watched Tom's video about squaring up a piece of material, then practiced with a bunch of scraps. I did not make anything, but I learned how to
correctly square up a piece of material in preparation to make something.

8. Mentors section where experienced machinists can offer up their skills to any needy person. Could be organized by section of the country or state.

9. A reference section that will include items by category and linked to in all of the above sections.

The goal of this section should be to KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid). I know that it is easy to forget as an experienced machinist that everyone does not know the difference between letter/number drill bits, jobber length /screw length... I think that the reference section is going to be the key to all of this. As a new guy to all of this I read posts then have to do a web search to figure out what some of the terms are. By having a comprehensive list of understandable references the new guy will be better able to follow along.

I know I am a new guy and know next to nothing about this new world, but I would like to offer to help in getting this idea of the ground.

Thanks,

Brooks

Back