whats a good cutting oil for steel....

Seriously folks, just try Canola oil. Yes it is a cooking oil, but it has a VERY high smoke point. No smoke, no smell, just smooth
cutting.I admit I just have a small shop
and don't do a lot of steel, but when I first tried mining steel parts, I tried every oil product that I could find and canola won out
every time. Try it, its very cheap like around $5 per gallon and you can get it in small quantities. I get mine upstairs in the kitchen,
and the wife is none the wiser.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I use the "dark" thread cutting oil from Home Depot, both of the Lowes stores near me do not carry any cutting oil for some reason. Its $5 a bottle at Home Depot. If you have a plumbing supply near you, Rigid cutting oil is cheaper by the gallon than the Oatey stuff in the smaller bottles.

I use Canola oil for quenching O1, I keep a couple gallons on hand since I heat treat steel often. But, its not a cutting oil at all. It smells like I'm frying french fries when my tempering oven is going though. :)

I use TapMagic for everything in my shop, Dark cutting oil will stain your paint work, guaranteed. I am going to use cutting oil in my power hacksaw, as soluble coolants degrade all too easily and cause rusting problems; A 50-50 mixture of cutting oil and kerosene will keep the work much cooler than straight cutting oil; this recommended by Marvel for their hacksaws.

I have a couple sticks/tubes of Boelube, I like it. Otherwise the water soluable oil works great and is cheap.
After the government required the removal of nitrites or other preservatives from soluable coolants they tended to go rancid; I think bugs ate up the rust preventing ingredient; for instance on my hacksaw, the coolant rusts the chips into a solid mass, you need a hammer and chisel to remove it.

I have recently discovered using Kool Mist 77 diluted 32:1 on my surface grinder and using a mister to apply it. I will use about a pint of the mix or less in 4 or more hours of grinding. The coolant stays in the grinder table wells and is pretty easy to clean up. No rust, no grit in the air, and the work comes out much better than grinding dry. It is actually meant for machining on lathes and mills and other cutting tools, but works great on the grinder. It is clear blue in color, nice smelling, no odor in use, and there are no warnings on the label. The label says: No mist fog fumes. 100% synthetic and biodegradable. Also says:
Safe for your PEOPLE
Safe for your ENVIRONMENT
Safe for your MACHINES
Safe for your MATERIALS
I certainly agree so far.
Using about 1/2 ounce or less per session, the 128 ounce (1 gallon) jug will last a looong time in my home shop.

The mister unit I got off AliExpress for $13.45 delivered to my door is cheap and works very well.

I have recently discovered using Kool Mist 77 diluted 32:1 on my surface grinder and using a mister to apply it. I will use about a pint of the mix or less in 4 or more hours of grinding. The coolant stays in the grinder table wells and is pretty easy to clean up. No rust, no grit in the air, and the work comes out much better than grinding dry. It is actually meant for machining on lathes and mills and other cutting tools, but works great on the grinder. It is clear blue in color, nice smelling, no odor in use, and there are no warnings on the label. The label says: No mist fog fumes. 100% synthetic and biodegradable. Also says:
Safe for your PEOPLE
Safe for your ENVIRONMENT
Safe for your MACHINES
Safe for your MATERIALS
I certainly agree so far.
Using about 1/2 ounce or less per session, the 128 ounce (1 gallon) jug will last a looong time in my home shop.

The mister unit I got off AliExpress for $13.45 delivered to my door is cheap and works very well.
Me too, I put a cheap mister on my lathe and I really like it. I've only tried the kool mist 77 and I like it okay. I've used kool mist in my band saw as flood coolant for a while, no rust. I bought another mister for my bench mill, can't beat them for the money.

I like this one: i-h8MS74m-X3.jpg

I just picked this up too:
i-nnxxCpp-X3.jpg

That looks like the same mister I have. I may buy another or two for use on my other machines. Cheap enough. Might add a mag base to one of them.

Sulphur based cutting oils for myself. If your boss can see smoke he knows the machine is working...

I picked up a gallon of Mobilmet 426 from Zoro for general use neat and I'm pretty happy with it. I also got a gallon of Trim Microsol 685 semi-synthetic soluble oil, but I haven't mixed any up yet.

Heavy jobs get Oatley dark threading oil. Tap Magic, Relton A9, or Castrol MolyDee for tapping, depending on the material. I save the MolyDee for tapping stainless.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back