What's a recommended way to hold a cylindrical printed part in a lathe?

Al seamed tube and plastic baffles seem to work just fine, and keep the AFT away........
It's one way of doing it. I've made a couple that way. My baffle moderators weren't that quiet, although they did take off some of the sharp edge.

This is more for the pursuit and keeping the brain cells moving. Otherwise, I'd just buy something and be done with it. It's a challenge and makes me think, learn and use multiple parts of my mind. Perhaps like crossword puzzles, but more interesting (to me). If it works really well, that's a bonus. That big one uses only $4 of material, which isn't bad.

What kind and size lathe and lathe chuck do you have. and how far into spindle would stock go?

It's one way of doing it. I've made a couple that way. My baffle moderators weren't that quiet, although they did take off some of the sharp edge.

This is more for the pursuit and keeping the brain cells moving. Otherwise, I'd just buy something and be done with it. It's a challenge and makes me think, learn and use multiple parts of my mind. Perhaps like crossword puzzles, but more interesting (to me). If it works really well, that's a bonus. That big one uses only $4 of material, which isn't bad.
Tesla valve......

What kind and size lathe and lathe chuck do you have. and how far into spindle would stock go?
Jim, it's a Grizzly G0752Z which is the same as a G0602, a 10x22. Spindle bore is 26mm. My 3 jaw has a 35mm bore, but my 4 jaw has a 54mm bore, which would fit the part in the chuck for 2.5 to 3 inches. The part stick out would be maybe 3 or 3.5 inches, which would be an improvement. I could fit a 50.4mm OD, 40mm ID split ring in the bore of the chuck.

Tesla valve......
Eventually I will get there. Think I know a way to fit them into my existing design. I have to get a little more efficient with my CAD work. Need to be able to use a base structure and replicate it correctly. I have some trouble with that. User needs some more training... I'll figure it out sometime.

Can you bore soft jaws for your 3 jaw ? I may have a piece of alum tubing you could make soft jaws to hold parts.
jim

Can you bore soft jaws for your 3 jaw ? I may have a piece of alum tubing you could make soft jaws to hold parts.
jim
Not sure. The jaws for both my chucks are single piece rather than two pieces, so it wouldn't be a bolt on and bore affair. How would one make soft jaws for single piece jaws?

Not quite as good would be to bore out a tube and segment the tube into pieces, one for each jaw. It would spread the contact force.

With your chucks I think I would bore a bushing that your part would slip into.
Then slit it about half way like a 5 c collet is slotted then grip the bushing in one of your chucks.
If you need to make many parts then I would make true bored jaws.

Back