What’s a step smaller than a Langmuir MR-1

r-mm

Registered
Registered
Hey all

I’m fixing to free up some garage space. In the back of my mind I‘ve been impressed by the MR-1. My father has a Crossfire plasma table and I like it and more importantly, Langmuir’s ongoing support to him. The MR-1 is likely one step larger, more capable than I “need”. I am not afflicted by the buy-more-in-case-you-need-it approach. I love how much I’ve managed to fit in my 600 sqft workshop by not over-buying. I like the near turn-key nature of the MR-1, the options, the community support etc. Is there something that comes to mind which is similar but let’s say 25% smaller, less expensive ? I have 240v but not three phase. I’m open to used but having chased spindle issues with my Enco for a while, do not want a project.

Turn-key is the main limitation, there isn't a lot out there. You can build whatever you want with the ease of ordering imported linear motion hardware and spindles. There are more than one community based or community focused all in one io/breakout/drive units out there like the Gecko drive G540 (https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/geckodrive-inc/G540-FOUR-AXIS-STEP-MOTOR-CONTROL/11682572) that are nearly plug and play, set it up in Mach with canned configs with your specific build's parameters and you're practically running. Plus, when you are done, you'll be knowledgeable enough to provide your own customer support and future development.

Is there something that comes to mind which is similar but let’s say 25% smaller, less expensive
Tormach is the only turnkey competition that I'm aware of, and it's big price jump. Everything else that's small is a router, not a mill. I consider the Langmier somewhat of a router, but they claim you can machine steel with it.

I had been contemplating getting a cnc table for years. My best friend has a 5x10 table for 10yrs and does great for himself. Sells on Etsy’s and so makes great side money. The only thing that was holding me back was learning the process. About a month ago I got onto watching some videos on YouTube watching jds garage plasma table. Look into them it’s a diy table that will cost you under 500 bucks to build minus the plasma machine.
I purchased the plans from them which were 25 bucks. After that I started round up the parts and materials. I ended up buying a new plasma machine which I didn’t have to but it was only 250 bucks. I’m about 3/4 way done building my problem is I’ve been making improvements to the design. Not that it needed it I just know better ways to do some stuff.
Jd garage system is definately a low cost solution for a cnc system and not in a bad way. It’s for the garage guy not production maybe light production. It is a copy of the lagmuir system with some subtle differences.

@DavidR8 built a CNC machine I believe. Maybe he will chime in.

Sherline offers some turnkey CNC mills, but they are much smaller and not much cheaper, with options bringing the price to double the base MR1

@r-mm I think it really depends on what materials you're looking to work with. I built a PrintNC router and it will plow through wood all day long and and not break a sweat. Likewise non-ferrous metals. It will do steel but because it has an 18,000-24,000 rpm spindle your tool selection, feeds and speeds have to be spot on. I'd love to find a low-speed spindle that wouldn't break the bank so that steel would be more accessible.

Back