What's in that Grease Gun ??? Problem Solved!

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
If you're like me you have acquired several different grease guns, each of which holds a specific grease for a specific use - as well as one with some 'General Purpose' grease for all other occasions. The backhoe needs marine grease, the wheel bearings need EP Moly - you know the drill.

Problem is, each grease gun looks the same.
GreaseGun5.jpg

And, although most grease is a bit color coded, blue, black, white, gray, etc - the difference between dinosaur based and synthetic greases makes that coding a bit iffy.

Yes, we try to remember "The blue grease gun with the aluminum ends has the marine grease" but memory fades.

I first tired using colored tape on the barrel - blue for marine, white for . . . . . ummm - I forget.
GreaseGun3.jpg

Then I tried the Brother P-Touch label maker - great idea but they don't stay on very well between sweaty hands, rough gloves and grease and shop smutz.
GreaseGun4.jpg

Also, I may start out with Grease A in an old friend of a grease gun, but when it runs out I may put something different in it (Grease D')and say "I'll remember what I did" and of course, I don't remember what I did.

It's ugly and messy to open up a grease gun just to see what the cartridge says it is - There must be a better way!

So, off to the mill, cut a window in the side of the grease gun positioned where the cartridge labels live - and voila' Instant identification! You could probably do it with a hacksaw if no milling machine is at hand.

The cartridges aren't under any pressure (other than the spring 'pusher') so this ID scheme works out nicely.
GreaseGun6.jpg

Just what I did - try it, you'll like it!

Stu

Last edited:
that is an interesting idea. I might try it

McMaster Carr sells clear bodied ones so you can see what the tube of grease says.
Clear-Barrel Lever-Grip Grease Guns
1897n11p1-g02a-digital@halfx_637032982727656798.png

g02a-lubrication-straight2-digital-master1567713724-p9@halfx_637032978699927092.png

Be sure you’re using the right grease—this gun has a clear barrel for identification at a glance. Lever-grip guns dispense more grease per pump than pistol-grip guns, so they're better for applications that require high grease output.
Filler nipple (sold separately) is required to load the gun using a bulk filler pump.

For Standard Grease Fittings
Cap.,
oz.
For Max. Cartridge
Size, oz.
Strokes
per oz.
For NLGI
Viscosity Grade
Max. Grease Outlet
Pressure, psi
Lg.TypeMaterialThread
Type
Pipe
Size
GenderLoading Method Each
NozzleNozzle Connection
1614 1/233 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 37,0006"RigidSteelNPT1/8MaleBulk Filler Pump, Cartridge, Suction1897N11$61.18

I wonder waht it would cost for a section of clear tube and cut some threads on the ends to convert my existing guns, vs dropping $70 ea on several new guns.

@gr8legs

Stu, that is really thinking "outside the tube".
Thanks for sharing it!

-brino

I would love to tour a McMaster warehouse. Apparently the have everything known to man.

Love that place. There’s one close to my work. I go there several times a year to pick stuff up at will-call. Never got a tour but the waiting area is open to to warehouse and you can see rows upon rows of pallet racks. Lots of conveyors boxes material handling equip and people. I love the smell in there like a hardware store on steroids. They are very well organized and efficient operation.

I would love to tour a McMaster warehouse. Apparently the have everything known to man.

We have one 5 min from where I work. I often do same day (2 hours after ordering) pickups. Their facility looks a lot like you'd imagine a UPS or Amazon facility does. Lots of sorting conveyors and such. Extremely responsive and helpful customer service, plus generally friendly people that work there. Seems to be a better place to work than other logistics type companies.

Back