What’s the difference between these Starrett mic’s?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Recently got some goodies from an auction and these mics are in them. Is it a difference in era or quality line? Neither have locks or ratchets. Both say it’s from the starrett company indicating that they are newer than the 1900’s.

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 28
I have both styles in my collection. The one on the left came from a relative who was in the service during WWII. He was in the quartermaster corps as an inspector. It was issued to him by the US Army.

I believe the one on the right is a little newer. I inherited a set from 1” to 6” from my father in law. He got them in the 1950’s. I also bought the same model in the mid 1980’s when I started working in a machine shop

The Satin Chrome on the left should have carbide faces.They didn't rust as easily.
They were more expensive.

I thought this but I’ve seen some old looking ones in the black cheaper casting style.
The blacks were usually 436 style . Starretts come in all different varieties over the years . Any combination is available such as ratchet stop , thimble stop , carbide faces , .0001 vernier , different locking mechanisms , frames , fractional dimensions on the frame etc etc etc . The good thing is they're all Starretts . :encourage:

Both types were made concurrently, I bought the satin chrome one 0-1 first ( cost $21.50 in 1962) then went on to buy the 436 series with ratchet and lock (436 RL) from 2 -6" later on. The satin chrome series does not necessarily have carbide faces, it just costs extra, same as the ratchet and lock.

Back