What's this Bridgeport worth?

I'm glad for the update. I'm sorry this machine isn't suitable. Well done in getting HW's help.

Reactions: tjb
I could entertain the idea of updating a Lagun FTV-S servo mill, because it at least has discrete servo drives and would only need electronics. But hydraulic? Pass. Too many unusual version-proprietary parts on that one to convert, unless you had two mills and bought one for parts. Even then, you'd just be sitting on two pulley heads, there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile from the neck down to do anything with.

Reactions: tjb
I don't want to haggle about right-and-wrong. You're right there's no evidence from your researches showing 2HP heads except on Series 2. I know what I've converted. We'll just have to leave it at that.
A Series 2 is a completely different machine that's twice as big/heavy as a Series I at 5,000lbs and they only made about 8,000 of them.

Series 2 came with a 4J 4hp varispeed head in standard configuration or with a 2J2 2hp head on the far less common "Special" Series II version.

All of the "normal" Bridgeports people talk about...whether 1hp step-pulley, Varispeed 1.5hp or Varispeed 2hp are covered in the Hardinge Bridgeport Series I manual now. Technically, the term Series I didn't exist until they came out with the Series II in 1970...so only the examples made after that point had "Series I" markings.

If there was a factory J head with step-pulleys and a 2hp motor we would be able to find a parts reference for it.

2hp Bridgeport heads are the most common of all, they just have Varispeed drives, not step pulleys.

Checked in with my machine rebuilder friend. He suggests that the 1HP pancake motors likely didn't meet Canadian Standards Association requirements so the ones shipped to Canada were shipped with 3rd party motors that met the spec. Sounds reasonable to me. The ones I replaced all had BP tags on them.

I used to run a lot of True-Trace head mills making aircraft parts for my “Uncle”. They were good machines and very dependable in the right hands. The BP shown would have had hydraulic feeds on the X & Y axis. The knee would have a vertical up screw. Don’t know about converting to manual screws for X & Y, but should be doable. Should be able to buy some Acme Threaded Rod from Green Bay Mfg. Actually, would like to have a tracer. Rigid made one back in 1980 that incorporated an idler gear in the Y axis so that you could make a right hand part from a left hand sample, (pretty useful for aircraft). Saw it at WESTEC ‘80.

Back