What's under you? (Floor question)

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am giving consideration to what best can I use underfoot. I thought to just ask generally.
In your shop, what's under your feet? Is it boards, plywood, concrete, tiles, vinyl, steel, rubber, something else?

What drives your choice? Is it spillage, chips cleanup, convenience, ease of fixing to it?
Do you have a preference. What would you change it to if you could, or are about to?

Concrete.

Reason: durability, cost. At the time, with fill, rebar and concrete - total cost to pour a 14x24 slab was about $1,200. We provided the labor.

What would I change? I would have done a smoother finish and epoxied the floor. But as you may have surmised, cost was an issue.

I totaled up my costs to build my shop that I started three years ago and stopped tallying at $7,400.

Polished concrete with rubber matts in strategic places (in front of the lathe and mill, and the workbench). My feet won't tolerate standing on straight concrete long term, the rubber mats make a significant difference. I use the perforated rubber mats, light enough to pick up when I sweep. Concrete is probably the best base for the machines, least vibration most rigidity.

I would have sealed the concrete with a simple sealer if I had to do it over again. I've tried epoxy coatings before and haven't had the best of luck with them despite diligent surface prep.

Yes, concrete and rubber mats, also used duck boards in my commercial shop.

Concrete and rubber mats.
That's what the place came with.
I'd change it to one of those wooden block floors if I had my choice. Go stand on a piece of concrete, then step onto a piece of wood. I swear you can feel the difference with shoes on. Might be hard to keep clean, but it's world's better for comfort.

1/3 of my shop is uncoated concrete only, for heavy stuff like the lathe and so I can pull my tractor in for working on it.

2/3 of my shop is concrete with a covering of 3/4" OSB (chip board) that is placed over 2x4's laid flat with 1.5" foam insulation between. I did this because it is warmer and "softer" underfoot. It also has the nice benefit that I can drop tools without damaging them. I recently lost my grip on a Kurt vise and it landed on a corner. Aside from the divot on the floor, it survived just fine. Also, no toes were involved so that is good. I've also saved a couple of wood chisels from concrete damage over the years.

Also, rubber mats at some machines.

Concrete and rubber mats.
That's what the place came with.
I'd change it to one of those wooden block floors if I had my choice. Go stand on a piece of concrete, then step onto a piece of wood. I swear you can feel the difference with shoes on. Might be hard to keep clean, but it's world's better for comfort.
Wood block floors do not tolerate moisture; I saw a section of one that had gotten wet, and it arched up like a Japanese arch bridge.

I have concrete, I have also tried the rubber mats with the holes, and then changed to 3/4" comfort mats, that I like better, I have very bad ankles.

Wood block floors do not tolerate moisture; I saw a section of one that had gotten wet, and it arched up like a Japanese arch bridge.
Lucky for me, I'll never put it in. But maybe something like what Reddinr did would work nicely.

benmychree, how flooded did the floor get to buckle. Can see it happening, just curious how much block floors can take. Right now my feet are killing me after standing on my concrete floor. With the Emerald Ash Bore infestation, I have virtually an endless supply of dead ash trees. Nothing huge but lots I could saw 4 x 4 s out of. Then cut 1 inch blocks and lay them in a bed of asphalt cement.
My feet would love me, lol

Greg

Back