What's Wrong With This Picture

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This was allegedly a picture of two bullets impacting mid-flight found on a WWI battlefield. What's wrong?
1707676441907.png

This was allegedly a picture of two bullets impacting mid-flight found on a WWI battlefield. What's wrong?
View attachment 477904
I don't know a lot about guns, but I have questions based on my ignorance. You can see the rifling on the darker bullet. It seems...deformed or too deep. Maybe that's normal.

The copper jacketed bullet...did they have copper jacketed bullets then? Is that a copper jacket? It also looks like it could be a hollow point? Is that something that existed then?

Also, the obvious phenomenon to me is that one bullet pierced another and they didn't explode (edit: frag). That seems...unusual... if the bullet actually pierced in flight. When I look at the lighter copper colored bullet, it looks like it was squished, as if it were setup to be shot at like a target.

Anyway, that's my Sunday morning half-a-coffee-know-next-to-nothing ballistics analysis. Curious what the real story is here.

By the way, we watched All Quiet on the Western Front recently...the newer movie from a German soldier's perspective. What a tragedy.

Did anyone know that image has been circulating on the internet for several (more than 8)years, and is allegedly from the Battle of Galipoli? Here’s some more!
IMG_2716.jpeg

Great folk lore! I wonder how much they are selling them to tourists for?

I would expect the bullets to shatter on impact with each other. My guess is some enterprising local is manufacturing the intersecting bullets in his garage using a pointy punch and a hammer.

I hope they come with a good story like... my great grandfather shot the bullet out of mid air to save his buddy!

Last edited:
Great folk lore! I wonder how much they are selling them to tourists for?

I would expect the bullets to shatter on impact with each other. My guess is some enterprising local is manufacturing the intersecting bullets in his garage using a pointy punch and a hammer.

I hope they come with a good story like... my great grandfather shot the bullet out of mid air to save his buddy!
Not necessarily.

Terminal velocity on impact would allow this, but I don't believe any of the ones shown hit in mid air. If they had they would have fragged with each spinning somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000-50,000 rpm each.

Most likely, seeing as the receiving bullets are all bent, the shot bullet hit a stationary bullet on the ground or in a magazine and penetrated.

Not necessarily.

Terminal velocity on impact would allow this, but I don't believe any of the ones shown hit in mid air. If they had they would have fragged with each spinning somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000-50,000 rpm each.

Most likely, seeing as the receiving bullets are all bent, the shot bullet hit a stationary bullet on the ground or in a magazine and penetrated.

I guess I am a bit more cynical than you are.

To see an actual verified bullet hitting a bullet in slow-motion check out this youtube video from Destin on Smarter Ever Day. It was a lot harder than you would think to get this to happen.

Back