[How do I?] What's Wrong With This Table Lock?

I don't see a problem. Mine is and always has been the same way. Those gears give you a lot of power to overcome the clamp but the reverse action of the gears will not. mine has never moved while milling and I have taken some heavy cuts. You have plenty of clamping power , but you also have 40:1 power to overcome the clamp and that is a LOT.

The table locks on my 12" Enco RT are made like this:

RT Clamp.JPG
The heel acts as a fulcrum against the RT base which allows you to apply downward force to the table with the clamping screw. I have two locks and when they are engaged, I cannot move the table with the worm crank.

Thanks for the all the input everyone.

RJSakowski: that's pretty much exactly the design I used. Yours is prettier, butbsame principle. I think if I added a second clamp, it would totally lock the table.

Markf and 4gsr: I agree - I think it's "good enough" as is. The 40:1 gearing is the reason it can overcome my single clamp. For that reason, I don't plan to change anything or add a second clamp, at least for the time being. If'n I have problems on the mill, I'll go that route.

Toolmaster and everyone else: thanks again for the suggestions! Very much appreciated, and I'll definitely draw on those if my mill is able to wiggle things a bit!

Best regards,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Why didn't you make the clamp arched like the table, it would give more hold down pressure with more holding power. You could use the table to cut the arch in your clamp s, . As for the power of the worm gear it should be able to move the table with one clamp but not with two. Just my thoughts on this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think making the clamp concave at the end would make any difference though - the clamp action is downward onto the flat ledge rather than forward onto the convex edge of the table.

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It would give more clamping force , but it's your table do as you wish. just offering help .

Back