What's your spindle runout?

if you are talking about my response, it was all tongue in cheek...
are people so thin skinned these days, and can't recognize a joke?
There might be some thin skin but for my part I just kinda freeze now. There was a thread where two of the good guys I’d been on threads with were poking fun natured but a couple of others weren’t and I got triggered. The two guys felt I over reacted I’m sure but it was more about a couple of mean spirited comments that made the whole thing go schwangle. With the world so polarized now the smallest comment can cause a mess and I’m trying really hard not be “that guy”. So when I saw BS I thought I’ve really stepped in it now. Luckily MrWhoopee conveyed exactly what I was thinking along with your further clarification. Ultimately we were on the same page and escaped with no smashed toes :)

The OP must have a Calibration Lab with temperature and humidity controlled room to claim any repeatable measurements with periodically calibrated instruments... otherwise..

Not-Understanding-20210930005027-20210930005027.jpeg

My 1939 has less than 0.000001 runout on the spindle, until you start turning it and then it goes all to hell. I realized long ago that no load runout is really unimportant as the work and the tool act in concert to create a significant load and that really does matter. To put it in perspective I have an old DC motor that came in an erector set 45 years ago which measures 0.0001 runout when turned at the slowest speed possible under power. In that case the tip of the indicator is likely putting enough load on it to even out any play in the bushings.

So, we can aspire to Stefan's norm of better than 2 microns? :)

Back