What's your spindle runout?

Remember guys this is a friendly forum. If @sc0ch went through the effort of measuring runout, I applaud him for doing so. Some may not agree with the numbers as presented, but that does not mean they are wrong.
As @C-Bag pointed out, spindle runout is just a part of the equation.

if you are talking about my response, it was all tongue in cheek...
are people so thin skinned these days, and can't recognize a joke?

Hey, just happy it's so controversial! ;-) My $600 Compac tenths indicator is pretty good and very reproducible, but absolutely, I could certainly just be measuring crude on the spindle or overinterpreting the universe...

Somebody asked what's an acceptable spindle runout. It's just one factor and depends on the tolerances you seek to maintain.

Overall, hopefully folks will post other numbers that could be interesting.

if you are talking about my response, it was all tongue in cheek...
are people so thin skinned these days, and can't recognize a joke?
Has nothing to do with "people so thin-skinned these days" and more to do with how sarcasm is lost when placed in textual form.

As far as "people these days", here is a quote from 1907 dissertation by a student, Kenneth John Freeman (this quote is most mistakingly attributed to Socrates)...
“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

I built a G0704 CNC conversion back in 2013, and put a set of Abec7 NSK angular contact bearings in it. My best indicator is a Tesa B&S .0001" , which registers about 40 millionths on the G0704s spindle taper.

Early last year I replaced the bearings in my Birmingham 13x40 lathe with a set of p5 rated Timken tapered rollers. Using the same Tesa indicator, I get about 80 millionths on it's mt5 inner taper.

Of course, since I'm using a .0001" indicator, I'm guesstimating the runout based on the apparent amount of needle movement between the lines.

I'm hoping by now everyone knows my sense of humor and doesn't take everything seriously . I usually add this after posts :grin: I applaud less than .0001 runout on anything .

I built a G0704 CNC conversion back in 2013, and put a set of Abec7 NSK angular contact bearings in it. My best indicator is a Tesa B&S .0001" , which registers about 40 millionths on the G0704s spindle taper.

Early last year I replaced the bearings in my Birmingham 13x40 lathe with a set of p5 rated Timken tapered rollers. Using the same Tesa indicator, I get about 80 millionths on it's mt5 inner taper.

Of course, since I'm using a .0001" indicator, I'm guesstimating the runout based on the apparent amount of needle movement between the lines.
Very nice Ken, those are some numbers to be proud of after replacing bearings. Wow! I too am reading between 0.0001" graduations on my indicator.

Back