Wheel adapters for Boyar-Schultz

durableoreo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently purchased a Boyar-Schultz Husk-e-line 3A 8x18 automatic grinder. It was a good deal (a hair over half a grand) but it had sat in cold storage in the Carolinas for a decade, far from civilization, was not powered, and the ways were questionable. So I thought it was a fair price.

There were no wheel adapters included. The manual calls out Tempco #25-5 and that drawing indicates that it's the same as you'd find on the more-popular 612. Does anyone know where I can buy some wheel adapters? Do surface grinders use a common taper on their spindles, or is it manufacturer specific?

I found a scale drawing of the adapter in the manual. (In all my engineering years, I've never measured off a scale drawing before.) Can't find anything quite like the manual on the Sopko site (link below). But I was able to select the Boyar-Schultz section of the catalog, which narrows down the options. All of the adapters specify 1" at the large end of the taper, which I take as a clue.

On McMaster, there's some adapters that are supposed to fit "most" surface grinders. Here's a link to the left-hand thread version. Does this look right?

There's a bunch of import options which only specify 1" at large end of taper. I might try them, if only because returns are easy.

I was very happy with the adapters from Sopko for a Brown and Sharpe clone. The information on their site was the best I found. If only the operator was half as good.

The 3”/ft taper seems to be the most common, with 1” large end being the most common variant within that. You can find some used adapters on eBay. McMaster’s price is pretty good for new ones.

Sopko is probably the best source for wheel adaptors and accessories, especially for less than common makes, for my B&S Micromaster, I have found many adaptors for far less than new.

Back