• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • How to Donate to Support the Forum and Upgrade Your Account

To upgrade your account, click on your name/User ID, and your profile box comes up. On the right side (highlighted above) you will see "Account Upgrades" Click on this, and you will see your upgrade choices:

* Premium Membership - recurring (12 months, recurring) $25.00 per year This is for one-year premium membership, automatically renews. Less ads, more access.

*Premium Membership - non-recurring (12 months, non-recurring) $30.00 for 1 year This is for one-year premium membership, does NOT automatically renew. Less ads, more access.

* Sustaining Membership - recurring (12 months, recurring) $50.00 per year This is for one-year sustaining membership, automatically renews each year. No ads.

* Sustaining Membership - non-recurring (12 months, non-recurring) $50.00 for 1 year This is for one-year sustaining membership, does not automatically renew each year. No ads.

[4]

Wheel choice for Quorn Tool & Cutter Grinder

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

old toolmaker

I just completed my 11 year build of the Quorn Tool & Cutter Grinder and am wanting to acquire a couple of good grinding wheels for general purpose high speed steel grinding. I have a 150 grit Diamond with CBN wheel that is slow at metal removal when grinding high speed steel but works OK on carbide. Are there any suggestions? Any comments on my current wheel?

Thanks, Dick

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Dick----don't use your diamond wheel for steel -----just for carbide---a soft white wheel works best on HSS tools---Dave

rgray

Active User
I've been using a white 46J cup wheel 4"- 3"x1 1/2"x1 1/4" on my tool grinder. I use a spacer in the center for the 1 1/4 hole size. Found them on ebay cheap. so making the spacer was worth it.
Works good on HSS.

old toolmaker

Dick----don't use your diamond wheel for steel -----just for carbide---a soft white wheel works best on HSS tools---Dave
Dave,

I will reserve the diamond wheel just for carbide as you said and I will shop around for a soft white wheel.

Dick

old toolmaker

I've been using a white 46J cup wheel 4"- 3"x1 1/2"x1 1/4" on my tool grinder. I use a spacer in the center for the 1 1/4 hole size. Found them on ebay cheap. so making the spacer was worth it.
Works good on HSS.
We used to use 46H on our 618 surface grinders for our general purpose wheels so I think it might be well to have a 46 J hardness at least for roughing. Maybe a 60J or 80J as well all mounted on their own 8mm collet arbors which is what my grinder spindle uses. No need to dress between uses.

Dick

old toolmaker

I have an 80 K which seems a little hard for roughing. It requires frequent dressing to keep it sharp and grinding cool. I think I will try to get a 46 I or 46 J in a 4" straight cup white wheel for material removal and for use on lathe tools.
The Quorn has removable wheel arbors held in by a draw bar so switching out a wheel is very quick as they run true once dressed and they require no re-dressing as long as they are in good shape.

Dick

Dave Smith

Active User
sounds good Dick, when the white wheels get worn beyond use---you can hold them by hand to your diamond wheels and they will clean the diamond wheels to be just like new----Dave

old toolmaker

Thanks for the advice, Dave.
I was also thinking of a ceramic wheel although they are somewhat expensive. I have never used one but I have read that they grind cool and stay sharp much longer.

Dick

[6]
[5] [7]