When buying a used bandsaw, what to check out?

rossn

Registered
Registered
I'm going to look at a used horizontal bandsaw, and would like to get some input on what to look out for and what should be checked before purchase. Letting me know acceptable tolerances and which issues are difficult to repair, is also very helpful.

All tips welcome!

Here are things already on my list:
- Bottom wheel runout (face of wheel as it turns)
- Blade sits evenly on both wheels and appears to run consistently (viewing running with guard off)
- Damage to guide bearings
- Overall sound while running
- Make sure clamping vice works well
- Cutting some tubular stock and confirming it is square in all directions

To bring:
tubular stock for sample cut
machinist square
small carpenter's square
dial indicator for bottom wheel runout

What else should I add?

Parts availability! Dinged up guides aren't a big deal assuming the price is adjusted commensurately, but make sure you can get the parts you want! (Ask me how I know...)

Getting a saw to cut square is usually just a matter of knowing how to dial the saw in (proper guide set up, proper blade tension, etc) and having the right blade. Be prepared to swag if the saw you're looking at has a crappy blade or beat up guides. I certainly wouldn't expect great cuts out of the gate. As long as the motor and gearbox run well and there isn't damage to the wheels (and all is priced accordingly) the machine should be recoverable. That said, it's still worth seeing (and hearing) the saw under load, so your sample cut is still in order.

Check the tires. They're a PITA to replace, and can be expensive. That said, replacements are readily available, so, again, it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

If it has coolant, check the pump.

Greasy hand prints at the top front of the saw may mean that it was frequently 'encouraged' to cut faster - and that it was run hard.

GsT

Gearbox! Check those worm gears. If the seller won't let you open the box cover- walk

Check for play in wheel bearings.

Take phone and Google the model number to see what comes up.

Bad reviews or parts issues.

General information.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back