When delicate stuff has to be done with something HEAVY ?

Load leveler and an extra pair of hands with your engine hoist?

John
My only problem with that setup is that the work and the controls. Many a time using an engine hoist I wished for another person running the hoist while I lined stuff up. It’s why I kinda like chain hoists better for delicate work. I do think the leveler is a good idea. Used them many times.

We have klien block and tackle rope sets.

Small blocks about 2 inch diameter pulleys and they have a finger that sticks out to forum a sharp v where the pull rope enters.

You pull t the side as you let the rope I. And it wedges in the vault and stops.

Used to to swap out the 120 pound batteries in the forklift.

Real easy to control with one hand while other operates the rope.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We have klien block and tackle rope sets.

Small blocks about 2 inch diameter pulleys and they have a finger that sticks out to forum a sharp v where the pull rope enters.

You pull t the side as you let the rope I. And it wedges in the vault and stops.

Used to to swap out the 120 pound batteries in the forklift.

Real easy to control with one hand while other operates the rope.

What is it called exactly? Klien?? Do you have a link or photo? Sounds like a useful setup tool in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to see a picture of that arrangement to change batteries also!

Did not take photos of battery swap, batteries are cell site batteries, 22 long 4 x 12 standing on ends, used top cage on lift to hoist the batteries into the home made battery box.

Can get photo later, I think it may be a lineman winch or something to that effect.

Go to Amazon and search for "klien block and tackle", the klien one is about 120 bucks and others 25 or so.

Got ours from estate sales, one came complete with the bag.

Ours is the 268 model.

Look for the little finger on the top block, that is the important part that makes it work so well.

The cheap ones do not have this requiring a helper or tie off, certainly not one hand use.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn’t know they made them so strong! I was given one that used to be used for air tools on a bench. It is incredible for balancing my angle grinder for doing detail work. Back when I was fabricating for a living I could hold up my 4 1/2” Makita grinder all day. Now I’m not doing it all the time it no fun. But the balancer is a beauty. I made a small jib crane for my welding table and that’s where the balancer lives. It also doubles as the overhead hanger for my Foredom.

Once you get a balancer set up you’ll wonder how you ever did without it.
Looking about on Amazon, etc, one of those goodies capable of hanging 40Kg cost £1300+
That would be more than the cost of the lathe and straightedge put together!
I may go with the counterweight! :(

Thinking harder, the counterweight only has to work a small height range. The pivot point could be near one end of the counterweight arm, as a lever, where (say) a 10Kg weight on a spacing of (say) x4 compared to the x1 on the other end where the heavy tool is hung. The up/down adjustment is very fine, and the total in the main sling is 50Kg, instead of 80Kg.
(I know, I know - we need a sketch! )

Last edited:
Klein makes about 5 models, but the 268 you are referring to is just one component, the block. Even for the best fit for your description, I cannot imagine how you rigged it. I'd have to see a photo to understand who you are using it.

-- I used to be a technical rope rescue instructor, so I understand pulley systems quite well (as well as my engineering and rigging background).

All this to say that you have come up with something really special! I would love to see how you rigged it, even with a dummy load!

Back