When did you?

For a different point of view I have a sieg x2d minimill. I bought it because it was what I could afford and I am new and still learning. But I enjoy modifying, tweaking and rebuilding my machines. It helps me learn and gives me intimate knowledge of the machine and it's limitations.
If/when I outgrow it I will probably get something bigger, but I will still end up buying a 'project' machine whether used or new.
If you don't enjoy working on your machine as part of your time in the shop then you should get something better if you can afford it.
I totally understand the time in the shop limitations and if I didn't enjoy working on the machine as part of the hobby I would get the best I could afford.
Your shop time is valuable and you should spend it doing things that you want to do, not things that you have to do.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My first mill was a private labeled RF30 clone that I bought in the '80's. I bought my next mill when I retired; a Tormach 770. It was purchased not to replace the old mill/drill but because of its CNC capability.

As I look back on projects run on the old mill, I am amazed at what I was able to do with tha hunk of iron. It had its shortcomings but with a little ingenuity, there were workarounds. Without a doubt, adding a three axis DRO to the mill was the most enabling upgrade. I did that some twenty years after I first bought the mill.

The second upgrade came about after I purchased the CNC. When I bought my 770, I also bought the Tormach TTC system which uses ER20 tool chucks and a 3/4" R8 collet. The relatively short shank on the ER chucks maximizes the use of the z axis and they precisely reference at the face of the spindle so that tools can be removed and reinserted without having to zero them out again. While the system was design for use on the Tormach, it works equally well on any mill. I have enough of the various tool holder that I can preload all my tools and determine tool offsets. Then I just have to reference my workspace once and I'm ready to go.

Round column mills are notoriously deficient in their z axis travel but I found that with careful planning beforehand, almost all work could be accomplished without having to move the head. For those jobs where it was unavoidable, have a good referencing procedure worked.

I started by buying what I thought would be a big enough mill to last forever. Truly famous last words. Grizzly 757z(?) combo vertical/horizontal mill, vfd 2HP 3phase on the vertical spindle, DRO, power feed x-axis, R8

Added a K&T 3K vertical about 6months ago. 10HP, 9000lbs, power feed on all 4 axises. NMTB-50. Because more rigidity for hogging metal. Will eventually add a DRO ...

You’ll always find a use for something bigger, as long as you have space

Your shop time is valuable and you should spend it doing things that you want to do, not things that you have to do.
Very true ... but then, I sincerely enjoy tinkering (see my sig line). Improving the ease of use or accuracy of a tool is just as much a load of fun as any other project. And unlike some fabrications, which can almost disappear or go to somebody else, I get to enjoy a tool fix every time I use that tool.

I never ever considered anything other than a Bridgeport. I'm completely happy with my clone and all the accessories that are made for Bridgeports. I was working on a project the other day, and pleased that I used all but about 1/8" of the Z height, so nice to have a large work envelope.

I can't answer your question directly because I didn't (nor do I want to) replace my RF 30 KO mill. There were a host of features that I considered essential and after buying my mill and adding those features I was still way below the more expensive machines that had NONE of those features. They include DRO, VFD, power X feed, powered head lift and a +/- .001" head indexing system. This machine meets all my needs and then some. Your mileage my vary.

I can understand the frustrations of belt changes. I've got a Jet 9x49 knee mill with VS. I've only had to reposition work a few times because I was out of X or Y travel. I have frequently come up against the Z travel space. Not because of really big castings but because the space that gets eaten up by things like boring heads, rotary tables etc. I put a knee power feed on and really like it. If you have the space, go for the biggest mill you can afford.

Ok everyone, thanks for the thoughts. I've pretty well made up my mind, but it's good to hear from those who've been down the road I'm on.

I had my Grizzly RF-30 clone for 20+ years before I decided I had enough of the work arounds, head alinement problems and lack of capacity. So I started on the hunt for a knee mill. Oh the clapped out, rusted, and busted mills I looked at until I decided to buy a new one, but that is another story.

Back