When hobbies become interesting.....

GrifterGuru

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Since 2001 I have been involved with Raleigh Choppers as a natural progression from my interest in Raleigh Grifters.

After 19 years of involvement with the bikes as well as co-organising rideouts and helping advertising and carrying out duties at the UK National show for them, myself and a close friend were privately approached by Raleigh in 2020, to be a part of the design team for the then upcoming new model of the Raleigh Chopper, the MK-IV (Mark four). I can't go into specifics, though it did involve design work on the decals as well as other areas of the bike.

The upshot of this was that myself and my close friend were each gifted one of the brand new models at least 6 weeks prior to official launch.

Those were, are and will forever remain, the very first two ever to be in private hands, direct from Raleigh themselves. Frame numnbers have been noted in the Chopper register with those details added.

On top of that, I was offered the opportunity to purchase one of only two Paint sample R&D prototypes of the MK-IV. See below.
Used for Private PR work for the launch and real-world testing before VIP Soft launch, Official media launch or official sales launch.

Collecting the gifted bikes from Raleigh Eastwood HQ. May 2023. Ultra-Violet (Purple) one is mine, the Infra Red in the foreground belongs to my counterpart who was also working on and with the design team.

1706757333658.png

Out on a Testing ride. Yes, that is a Concrete cow.

1706757315227.png

Given the opportunity to purchase this RN22 Paint Sample R&D Prototype, I leapt at it and have never looked back.
The only Infra-Red RN22 numbered Prototype MK-IV in existence. 1 of 1 colour, 1 of 2 RN22 numbered Prototypes.

Used as parts compatability test mule by the head designer.

RN22 Prototype outside "Experience Raleigh" centre in Maid Marian Way, Nottingham (Now closed. Open Dec 2022 - Dec 2023) on the day of collection.

1706757551095.png

RN22 Prototype sporting prototype long saddle post and sissybar extensions.

Just because it left the factory, does not mean the prototyping work is complete ;)

1706757581489.png

Being involved in this project was a privilege and one I am unlikely to forget as my own and my friends name are forever tied to the project and to the bikes themselves. Raleigh mentioned us by name in one of their (link >>>) web articles (see step 2 of that page) as well as the Wikipedia Article (<<< link) mentioning us both by name. Our involvement is played down in the Raleigh article as it was written by their blogger, not by anyone with any real knowledge on who did what within the design team.

COOL ! Look like the old Schwinn Apple Crates etc .

Nice! I’d love to try one and see how it rides compared to other small bicycles :geek:

Nice! I’d love to try one and see how it rides compared to other small bicycles :geek:
If it's anything like the old Raleigh choppers, perfect for jollying round the estate (as long as your estate was fairly flat!) with your 10 year old friends (despite the warning strap on the seat all Chopper owners would give their friends a 'backie') but for any actual proper riding utterly unpleasant! :grin:

I expect this new one is a fair bit lighter though, than the 70/early 80's versions, and surely Raleigh must have managed a more efficient gear trail than the old ones. :grin:

If it's anything like the old Raleigh choppers, perfect for jollying round the estate (as long as your estate was fairly flat!) with your 10 year old friends (despite the warning strap on the seat all Chopper owners would give their friends a 'backie') but for any actual proper riding utterly unpleasant! :grin:

I expect this new one is a fair bit lighter though, than the 70/early 80's versions, and surely Raleigh must have managed a more efficient gear trail than the old ones. :grin:
@SouthernChap

Lets just answer a few these points.

1) The MK-IV, like the elder generation mk1 & mk2 models, are fine for short as well as long distances providing they are maintained properly. 100 miles within a day is possible. I know, I have done it multiple times. A 50 mile daily average is easy.

2) With the sprung saddle/sissybar arrangement they are actually comfortable to ride when saddle height is set correctly. This is true of mk1, mk2 & MK-IV models.

2) Any bicycle is only as slow as the "engine" (the rider) is. (Real ale makes great liquid fuel!)

3) The MK-IV weighs almost exactly the same as the elder generation mk1 & mk2 models. Mostly due to thicker-wall frame-tubes balanced out by other lighter weight modern parts. The frame is all steel. not aluminium.

4) The gears are the same trusty S/A derived three speed

This new model is as close to a brand new mk2 model as it is possible to get within modern safety standards and regulations.

The question I have and it's very important: why does the concrete cow not have a head?

The question I have and it's very important: why does the concrete cow not have a head?

Yes, it does. As do the other concrete cows.

The "concrete cows" are also a hint towards the location/area/place the photograph was taken.cows.jpg

Nope.

Its a place, non-industrial.

@SouthernChap

Lets just answer a few these points.

1) The MK-IV, like the elder generation mk1 & mk2 models, are fine for short as well as long distances providing they are maintained properly. 100 miles within a day is possible. I know, I have done it multiple times. A 50 mile daily average is easy.

2) With the sprung saddle/sissybar arrangement they are actually comfortable to ride when saddle height is set correctly. This is true of mk1, mk2 & MK-IV models.

2) Any bicycle is only as slow as the "engine" (the rider) is. (Real ale makes great liquid fuel!)

3) The MK-IV weighs almost exactly the same as the elder generation mk1 & mk2 models. Mostly due to thicker-wall frame-tubes balanced out by other lighter weight modern parts. The frame is all steel. not aluminium.

4) The gears are the same trusty S/A derived three speed

This new model is as close to a brand new mk2 model as it is possible to get within modern safety standards and regulations.
Oh...oh dear. :oops: :big grin:

It's a stylish, cool looking bike, that for those of us with fond memories of the 70s is a lovely bit of nostalgia.

An optimal design of bicycle, it is not. :grin:

(those Sturmey Archer gears for example, take the effort one puts in, chuckle to themselves and chuck about 10% of that effort in the bin; 10% isn't much when compared with stuff like the aerodynamic drag of rhe rider but if you're having to provide that effort yourself, every Watt counts :grin:)

Back