When Something Seemingly Simple Becomes Difficult

rodm717

Registered
Registered
While cutting some material for a work welding positioner project, the tire on my craftsman 108.2292 blew. Having replaced the tires originally several years ago when i bought the machine, I didnt think this would take more than an hour at worst. The saw came with a set of the original rubber tires. I used the recommended 3M adhesive, which i had to order online when i original replaced.
The tire that came off was definitely going to need replaced and had sheared off the wheel leaving a thin layer of rubber and adhesive behind. I checked multiple sources on the easiest way to remove and get back to metal. The first issue i encountered was not having the correct size snap ring pliers to remove the wheel. After a quick trip to HF and removing the wheel I had 3 days of soaking in various recommended solvents and wire brushing, which barely made a dent.
What eventually worked was some painstaking scraping with a pick as the wheel had minor grooves around the od and alternately soaking with goof off. and finally some scraping with a razor blade.
To all the posts i read, I call BS on paint thinner and the like. Maybe that would work with some generic rubber cement and or on newer or modern machines and tire material. I dont know, but it did not work for me.
Thankfully i will be replacing with new urethane bandsaw tire material that does not require any adhesive and simply stretches over the wheel.
I post only to affirm that it is not always as easy as it looks or what some would lead you to believe and depends on your specific circumstances and equipment.

Probably need one of those "toxic as all get out" solvents like toluene or xylene.
Orange oil sometimes works on stubborn adhesives- don't know if goof off is orange based or not
Citri-solv is pretty good stuff
When my girlfriend's Jeep got graffiti tagged we used Citri-solv and got it all off without harming the factory finish

Last edited:
I find that heat will soften most adhesives. Lacquer thinner also is a good solvent. Acetone will soften some as well. For rubber based adhesives, WD-40 works well. I have used it many times to remove labels from plastic as it softens the adhesive enough to roll it off without damaging the plastic.

On the topic of dissolving glue, When paint thinner won't work, and xylene doesn't touch an adhesive, Next I try Canola or Peanut oil. It sometimes works a treat at softening/dissolving some specialty adhesives.

It’s those seemingly simple jobs that is the reason I have a garage full of tools. My SO always wonders why I have such a pessimistic attitude when somebody says “it should take 10sec”. It’s also why I ask she sticks around till the job is done and see what happens. Now she gets it.

My wife was a sales/marketing consultant and she doesn't understand why I can't give a precise estimate of the time needed for a job although she is getting better at it. As I write, she is stripping old finish off our hall woodwork and it's taking a bit longer than she had estimated (like 4x).

Soaking overnight in mineral spirits, stoddard solvent, or VM&P naptha will soften and expand the rubber every time. Unless it's a polymer rubber like EPDM, that's not rubber. This trick is for butyl rubber, aka latex rubber or natural rubber.

Back