When to turn a hobby into a side job.

I advertise on CL and hand out some rack cards. Just a hobby, if I had to do this for beans and bacon The Wife and I would be living under a freeway. I do some interesting jobs which I enjoy. I charge $40.00 an hour and charge only for machine and set up time.

I always under promise and over deliver. For instance I'll say, "Have it for you next week" then call them in two days and say,"come and get it".
I'm not adverse to turning down work if it is above (or below) my skill level or I just don't want to do it. I have learned to insist on perfectly clear drawings and if possible a sample part. I don't charge for consulting or estimates.

You can have: high quality, fast delivery, or low price. Pick any two.

I advertise on CL and hand out some rack cards. Just a hobby, if I had to do this for beans and bacon The Wife and I would be living under a freeway. I do some interesting jobs which I enjoy. I charge $40.00 an hour and charge only for machine and set up time.

I always under promise and over deliver. For instance I'll say, "Have it for you next week" then call them in two days and say,"come and get it".
I'm not adverse to turning down work if it is above (or below) my skill level or I just don't want to do it. I have learned to insist on perfectly clear drawings and if possible a sample part. I don't charge for consulting or estimates.

You can have: high quality, fast delivery, or low price. Pick any two.
Matt that is what i am specifically talking/asking about.and when did you decide to start doing it from just being a hobby? Did you have a bunch of fixures and tools. Or did you buy or make them as you needed for a job.

Matt that is what i am specifically talking/asking about.and when did you decide to start doing it from just being a hobby? Did you have a bunch of fixures and tools. Or did you buy or make them as you needed for a job.

I'm mostly a self (U-Tube) taught machinist. Before I advertised I had all the machines and tools and could do all the basic operations. At this stage I'm still an "amateur, amateur" machinist. I like jobs that stretch my abilities but I'm not afraid to turn work down if it is above my skill level or work that simply does not interest me.

I really don't do this for the pay and for friends I never charge. The money just validates the skills I have honed and go to pay for more guns and other tools.

Back