WHEN YOU CAN'T WELD

I wonder TIG welding is more dangerous to a pace make then stick welding or do they pose the same amount of risk?

I wonder TIG welding is more dangerous to a pace make then stick welding or do they pose the same amount of risk?
The pacer manufacturers do not seem to differentiate these. The risk is basically an induced current in the pacemaker sensing lead that would be misread as cardiac activity. I do not know how high frequency starting in TIG might affect this. I suspect it would not. My thought is that the main risk is the high amperage welding current. If that is close to your chest it could induce current in the pacemaker leads. Boston Sci makes the statement that a welder with a pacer should avoid short pulses of welding since that could be misread as heartbeat. I assume pulse TIG set at the wrong frequency could also be a problem. Anything between 40-250 pulses per sec could probably get misread by the pacemaker. That being said, stick is theoretically safer since there is typically no pulsing involved (and no HF start.)
I got me a cardiologist I can follow up with and ask what they do. I'm pretty sure he will say "CYA and follow the manufacturers recommendations." I am also pretty sure he doesn't know the difference between a TIG torch and a hammer. (No offense intended to any cardiologists reading this, tools are just not his thing!)
Robert

The pacer manufacturers do not seem to differentiate these. The risk is basically an induced current in the pacemaker sensing lead that would be misread as cardiac activity. I do not know how high frequency starting in TIG might affect this. I suspect it would not. My thought is that the main risk is the high amperage welding current. If that is close to your chest it could induce current in the pacemaker leads. Boston Sci makes the statement that a welder with a pacer should avoid short pulses of welding since that could be misread as heartbeat. I assume pulse TIG set at the wrong frequency could also be a problem. Anything between 40-250 pulses per sec could probably get misread by the pacemaker. That being said, stick is theoretically safer since there is typically no pulsing involved (and no HF start.)
I got me a cardiologist I can follow up with and ask what they do. I'm pretty sure he will say "CYA and follow the manufacturers recommendations." I am also pretty sure he doesn't know the difference between a TIG torch and a hammer. (No offense intended to any cardiologists reading this, tools are just not his thing!)
Robert

Different tools for a different job....

Reactions: rwm
Just speculating here, but is there any kind of vest or other protective device that might mitigate the effects? Mike

Just speculating here, but is there any kind of vest or other protective device that might mitigate the effects? Mike
I was wondering about that? If the HF start caused a problem a vest like a Faraday cage might help? Would that stop a low frequency magnetic field from inducing a current? I am thinking no?
Robert

Last edited:
I suppose something like an old suit of armor made from MuMetal and then properly anealed.......

Back