Where do you get practice scrap cheap?

Check local welding shops. Thats where I get a lot of steel from and if they are organized they keep it labeled

So I'm mowing the grass in the backyard and my good friends cousin comes over andsays I got some gifts for you. He's a pipe fitter and said they were moving his shop and were cleaning out the yard and found this and thought of me. So you just gotta get the word out and eventually you'll have a life time worth of material in this case I'll make him something cool.

View attachment 277582

3" hex about 5' long
2 1/2 round about 4' in 3pcs
2" square 3' long
2" round about 8' in 3pcs

Nice one ! You've now become a squirrel ! :encourage:

If you're within driving distance of Iron Mountain MI I have a lot of new CR, TGP and DOM, shorts and up to 16' long for $1/lb. Say you heard about it on this forum and it'll go for 1/2 that. Liquidating machine shop.
Aaron

That's a little far for me, unless you want to ship! If you decide to do that, let me know, but yeah, that's a little too far for me.

Dumpsters, scrap bins, skips, rubbish piles, whatever. That, and keep your eyes open. The stuff that gets dumped on the side of the road - amazing.
I was buying some heavy nylon bar at one place, and their skip was full of 'good stuff'. Armfuls of the stuff. That was years ago, and I still haven't used it all up!
Every now and then we have to replace the blades on our large ride-on mower. Lovely stuff, those blades! (Yeah, needs carbide for machining, but even so.)

Cheers
Roger

Hi,
Garages/car repairers throw away used shock absorbers all the time, the insert rods vary from 8mm-19mm in diameter some solid some hollow, I have no idea what the metal is but I make all sort of stuff with it.
I own a workshop so I get plenty.
Tom

I was visiting my son last weekend who owns a small engine repair shop. I found several useable scrap pieces. A couple of spindle shafts, a steering wheel shaft, a transmission shaft...
Check out your local lawn and garden equipment repair shops.

I have gotten good use out of a tractor pto shaft that I had replaced. I suppose that a rear axle from a junkyard would do nicely also. You could try people who work on or scrap these machines.

Check out buymetal.com for low cost aluminum. They charge $15 flat rate shipping and you can get a ton to practice on for under $100. Most of it will probably end up becoming real parts as time goes on. This isn't a cheap hobby unfortunately, but that should get you started. I got a 4x4x18" piece of aluminum + 1.5"x5"x10" piece shipped to my door for something like $110. That's nearly 50lbs of aluminum.

You said , " you can get a ton...for under $100" and you got 50lbs for "something like $110.00". Did I miss something?

Back