Where to buy brass rivets?

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
has anyone here ever purchased 1/16 by 3/16 long, solid round head brass rivets in quality?
Mcmastercarr has them in aluminum but I'd prefer brass so I can make them look old by heating them up
I'm looking for 1000 pieces and I see them on ebay by the 100 but they are in England the shipping would kill me.
I'm not looking forward to drilling all these holes even with cnc, it's for the boiler on my model steam engine
Steve

http://www.rivetsonline.com/1-1-6-solid-rivets-non-aluminum.html

$24 per 1k

Never ordered from them before, but price seems good, and none of the usual suspects had anything. I did find some larger diameter rivets at MSC, but 3/16" was the smallest diameter they had. You say you are not looking forward to drilling all those holes.. but you do realize you are going to have to set all those rivets right? Better invest in a decent hammer soon ;)

Steve, are you planning to use those rivets to assemble the actual boiler?? Brass in boilers is not a good combination, as the heat of the boiler itself causes the leaching of the zinc out of the brass, changing the alloy. There is a name for that process, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is at the moment. Anyway, just so you know, brass fittings are never allowed directly on full size boilers for that very reason. Yes, some will say that they've seen brass water gauges before, but the temperature of the gauge glass is quite a bit less than the temperature of the boiler shell itself, thus it works in that case. Not only that, the gauge glass is usually attached by auxiliary piping and is usually not attached directly to the boiler. There are also some low zinc brass alloys that hold up to heat much better than some of the more common varieties.

Galvanized fittings are never allowed either, same reasoning, it has something to do with the zinc.

Now if you are building your boiler out of brass and you will not be firing it, that it a different story. If it is only being used for display or as an air reservoir, we are talking about something completely different with no heat involved.

Long story short, you might want to consider a different material if your boiler is going to be a fired pressure vessel. Oh, and aluminum is worse yet, it also suffers from stress cracking under boiler conditions.

I'm donating this model to the town museum where the mill is located when done. the rivets are just for show.
the engine runs on air, much cleaner and can add a drier and oiler.
"thank you guys" for your reply the price on the http://www.rivetsonline.com/1-1-6-solid-rivets-non-aluminum.html site looks perfect.
oh and I don't have to set the rivets they are going around a pipe made to look like iron boiler plates, they are not structural just a snug hole and tap them in.
steve

:hugethumbzup:
I think that you deserve the ultimate in 'cool points' for your Yulee Mill project, especially since you are donating the entire thing to the local museum there. I am also glad to hear that the brass rivets are for show and not for a working boiler.

thanks again guys
I ordered from rivetsonline $34 including shipping
shipped ups
steve

Steve, are you planning to use those rivets to assemble the actual boiler?? Brass in boilers is not a good combination, as the heat of the boiler itself causes the leaching of the zinc out of the brass, changing the alloy. There is a name for that process, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is at the moment. Anyway, just so you know, brass fittings are never allowed directly on full size boilers for that very reason. Yes, some will say that they've seen brass water gauges before, but the temperature of the gauge glass is quite a bit less than the temperature of the boiler shell itself, thus it works in that case. Not only that, the gauge glass is usually attached by auxiliary piping and is usually not attached directly to the boiler. There are also some low zinc brass alloys that hold up to heat much better than some of the more common varieties.

Galvanized fittings are never allowed either, same reasoning, it has something to do with the zinc.

Now if you are building your boiler out of brass and you will not be firing it, that it a different story. If it is only being used for display or as an air reservoir, we are talking about something completely different with no heat involved.

Long story short, you might want to consider a different material if your boiler is going to be a fired pressure vessel. Oh, and aluminum is worse yet, it also suffers from stress cracking under boiler conditions.

Dezincification.

David

Back