Where to buy chuck wrench

Wow ya, I’ve gotten so busy buying tools and parts I’ve needed to set up this lathe, I didn’t even think about making my own wrench, LOL. I picked up a impact socket today and it fit perfect. I’ll turn a handle tomorrow on the lathe.
Couldn’t see the forest through the trees. Haha

Ok, here we go. Here is what I started with.

Turned it down to fit in the small end of the socked and welded it up. 288614

Put it back in the lathe and turned it down to match the old wrench.

Pretty close match. Thank for the ideas guys. You got me going.

Hobby machinists get into the hobby so they (and me!) can make things that come out of their minds, and also copy things that already exist. Often, that is the preference, and they don't want to buy anything they can reasonably make themselves. As hobbyists, it also helps us to learn by thinking outside the box, trying to come up with a design that uses common materials we might have on hand, or cheap and off the shelf parts or tools to modify for making something useful, often more useful to the maker than a store bought tool or part. There is also the pride of doing the entire project, or the major portion of it, from what is already on hand in the shop, to a design that comes from our minds, which is why many of us hoard all kinds of things that might have possibilities in our shops at some point in time. The focus is on "I want to think it and make it."

Other hobby machinists, not so much. They want to get it done as quickly as possible, and get on to the next thing, and they often order fresh materials and tooling for each project, and work from plans or from copying other's work. The focus is often on "I want this thing, ASAP."

It really depends on how we mentally approach doing things. Neither approach (and there are also always other approaches) is "better", it depends on what works for our situations, desires, and resources. We also often switch gears for certain projects. Some are quick and dirty, others are fussy, thoughtful, and careful. That is why this forum is so interesting, seeing how we approach making and procuring things in so many different ways, many of them potentially useful.

Hobby machinists get into the hobby so they (and me!) can make things that come out of their minds, and also copy things that already exist. Often, that is the preference, and they don't want to buy anything they can reasonably make themselves. As hobbyists, it also helps us to learn by thinking outside the box, trying to come up with a design that uses common materials we might have on hand, or cheap and off the shelf parts or tools to modify for making something useful, often more useful to the maker than a store bought tool or part. There is also the pride of doing the entire project, or the major portion of it, from what is already on hand in the shop, to a design that comes from our minds, which is why many of us hoard all kinds of things that might have possibilities in our shops at some point in time. The focus is on "I want to think it and make it."

Other hobby machinists, not so much. They want to get it done as quickly as possible, and get on to the next thing, and they often order fresh materials and tooling for each project, and work from plans or from copying other's work. The focus is often on "I want this thing, ASAP."

It really depends on how we mentally approach doing things. Neither approach (and there are also always other approaches) is "better", it depends on what works for our situations, desires, and resources. We also often switch gears for certain projects. Some are quick and dirty, others are fussy, thoughtful, and careful. That is why this forum is so interesting, seeing how we approach making and procuring things in so many different ways, many of them potentially useful.

Well stated. But then you have folks that will throw in berating comments for being over fussy because this high precision was not required, not being fussy enough, buying it instead of making it....

i was told at an early age by some pretty smart guys...
the tool that worked, was the right tool. :)
fabrication of tools, is a subject i find great passion in.
i have done unspeakable things in the field to tools, to make a breakdown situation better for the customer, out of necessity

i'll buy inexpensive wrenches and sockets with the intent and purpose of dissecting or destroying them, to make another tool.
sometimes adding handles for leverage onto wrenches,
sometimes shortening sockets and welding them to barstock
sometimes cutting hunks of plate into large wrench heads and welding them to barstock, to make big wrenches

the fun never ends and the tooling you can make is limitless, if you have a need

nice work!:grin:

Back