Where to get material in Canada

I found back a source for guys in the Laval/ north shore region of Montreal
Décoration Métallique G R Inc
509 Boulevard du Curé-Boivin, Boisbriand, QC J7G 2A8
(450) 435-5131

It's a 'dépanneur' (you have to live in the area , a dépanneur is a convenience store :) )
They do staircase, ramps, gardrails and that sort of things, but the owner keeps a wide variety of stock iron and will sell at a very reasonable price. The thing with this place is that material is meticulously stocked and labelled so you know what you are buying.
He will also let you wander in his stock and you simply note down what you need and they will cut it for you, in even very small quantities.
The only minor point is that cut everything with a chop saw, so in some materials it may harden, or weaken the material because of the heat, so get a piece a few inches longer than you need.

As I find other places in the greater Montreal area, I will post them.
Luc

I also use MetalsPlus in Whitby - very patient with me, even though I was only ordering $140 of stuff.

OnlineMetals looked really good until you considered shipping/brokerage. Once I found MetalsPlus, supplier selected!

OnlineMetals is pricey compared to SpeedyMetals, regardless anything shipped using UPS across the border is pricey due to UPS pricing policies. Shipping and picking up in NF, NY is of course an option. Bring your partner along and stop by one of the many wineries between Grimsby and NOTL for lunch and some sampling :)
If you want to stay local:
Since there are no or few machine shops left in downtown Toronto, try McKinnon Metals. A bit north of downtown but not too bad. They have offcuts at good price, if you say hobbyist then pretty good on pricing as well. They will cut as well of course
MetalSupermarkets is pricey in St Catharines and refuse to let you look on the offcut rack so full price every time. YMMV depending on the location you visit. I think there is one in Don Mills east of Don Valley/Eglinton area

I also use MetalsPlus in Whitby - very patient with me, even though I was only ordering $140 of stuff.

OnlineMetals looked really good until you considered shipping/brokerage. Once I found MetalsPlus, supplier selected!
That’s my place to go. Really nice guys. Especially with hobbyists. I’d go as far as to say, it’s like the difference between here and practical machinist.
I’m even able to bounce ideas off them. If I come back from the racks with something unknown to me, they’ll say no, take it back, get this instead.
You’re in Oshawa, I’m in Bowmanville. Little wild to see someone so close in a predominately American site.

If I come back from the racks with something unknown to me, they’ll say no, take it back, get this instead.
You’re in Oshawa, I’m in Bowmanville. Little wild to see someone so close in a predominately American site.

Did not know you could wander inside!! They had lots of signs saying 'no customer entry' and such. I will be heading back there soon. Bonus season is upon us, and I have been blessed with some shop money. :) (already ordered a QCTP!)

Yah, I'm going to make it a side-mission in my forum life to help locals find stuff. There is soooo much available in the US that just gets silly to buy here. And I think on every forum, this exact conversation happens. :D

Adam, hope you find what you're looking for - I saw GTA and jumped in, just re-read your post and saw you were downtown.

Are we still talking about metals plus in Whitby? I've never seen a no entry sign. All their cut off racks are through the big shop door on the right, they invite you to go look. They're starting to know me by name. Lol.

Don't forget to check your local metal recyclers sometimes you can find good scores there for scrap prices

Get in the habit of carrying a small file when you go to check out the scrappers. If the file won't cut the piece you are checking out, neither will your cutters. You won't often pick up a piece that hard, but it does happen. In case you are looking for some stainless, also carry a magnet. Some stainless will stick, but many grades won't.

If your looking for small brass round ,flat or square stock as well as the same in tube try your local hobby/model shop. Some of those K & S racks have material up to 3 ft long. Another place you can try is the restore you can get hard wood there cheep for model bases. At the one here in Sudbury I got a piece of alum. just over 2.5 ft long and 2 in. in dia for 10 bucks. ya never know what you will find there.

Back