Where to purchase and learn to use a lathe TEST BAR?

Re: Where to purchase and learn to use a lathe TEST BAR?

mumbles, that is a beautiful machine. I can see why you take such good care of it.

I made a fairly simple test bar. A piece of O1 tool steel, faced and center drilled on each end, using the steady rest. The rod was then turned between centers for a short length.

7066603_orig.jpg

The rod is mounted between centers with the turned portion at the headstock, the dial indicator mounted on the cross slide and zeroed against the turned portion. The bar is then flipped, so that the turned portion is at the tailstock. The cross slide moved down and a measurement taken with the indicator. The tailstock is adjusted until both readings are the same.

I borrowed this method from the Lathe instruction video put out by the American Gunsmithing Institute.

Jere

8385051_orig.jpg
3252055_orig.jpg

Paul, how long did it take to get it after you ordered?

Running the test bar between centers under power will flex it if there is any misalignment in the spindle center hole. If you want to check the condition of the taper, like for burrs and dings, pull back the tailstock center and rotate the spindle with the indicator out near the end of the bar. Also, you should sweep the length of the bar between centers after verifying that the morse taper in the spindle is good, and the head is aligned with the ways.

PaulT link=topic=1434.msg9355#msg9355 date=1302278725 said:
Shipping was not cheap (45USD) for those considering this order.
That's odd. They quoted me 25 USD to the central U.S. :eek:
And I didn't know about the discount code when I ordered. ???

Will have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahhhh....... OK. You got priority shipping.

Dear highpwr,

Hi

Postage for the above item to US is 15.00(GBP) via royal mail airsure service.

Best Regards Chris
Tel 01422 885069/884605
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.RDGTOOLS.CO.UK

I ordered a test bar online from RDG on 4/19/2011, it arrived yesterday 4/29/2011. Ten days delivery for international shipping. Much better than it was in the 1970's. Very nice product!

Maybe I'm just cheap. A test bar only needs a ring on each end that's the same diameter and perfectly centered. Center drill both ends of a bar. Using a dead center in the tailstock, turn a clean area next to the tailstock. Flip the bar and do it again. Do a final pass on each end (flipping the bar and working at the dead center) using a shear tool (for good finish on steel), and without moving the crossfeed. You should have identical diameters on both ends, perfectly centered because it was running on a dead center.

Ideally it should be a tube to reduce sag. Maybe an iron pipe with a Loctited pipe cap on each end- turn the rings on the flange of the pipe cap.

I rarely have my Logan better than .0002"/" because my garage floor warps with the seasons and water table, plus it's hard to fiddle the tailstock much better than that.

BTW, once you have your lathe running with near zero taper, it's a good time to turn a cylinder between centers, then face the end at the same time (relieve the center area first). This makes a cylindrical square for your surface plate that's inherently very good. The commercial ones are excessively expensive. Heck, make two and you can compare them side to side just to be sure!

I never really thought about this- it's so obvious I should have. When your tailstock is slightly off, it's a fixed amount no matter where the tailstock is on the bed. Assuming the bed and the rest of the lathe is perfect (I wish), the longer the part, the less the taper per inch. Thus, being able to turn a long part without taper isn't saying much. OTOH, if you can turn a couple inch part between centers and get near zero taper, now you've accomplished something. IOW, if you want to turn a 1" long part with 0.0001" taper, the tailstock needs to be correct to 0.00005". Good luck with that.

OK I know that i am posting to a 2 year old thread so i might not get a answer but here it goes anyway.I am sometimes slow with somethings I am wondering if the wood is not 100% concentric how can this be accurate? I guess im missing something.

J.B

Back