Where to Start with Clockwork Mechanisms?

Moseley

Registered
Registered
Hello there, I've recently taken interest with Clockwork and specifically with Non-Clock Machines and Mechanisms. Though I'm still newly looking through this, I'm having trouble finding many guides or simply articles that speak of them, finding the odd youtube video showing them off was the best I could find. But I'm looking for how they are made, how I can make them, and what people can do with them. I maybe just looking in the wrong place with the wrong words, so maybe you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Grand scheme or project that rests in my head that I want to bring alive is that of an Talking Animal Head that would move its jaw and speak (with an audio recording) and Glowing eyes, with the idea that I can wind it up have its actions go. Kinda like a cartoon or fantasy trope of the cursed being unable to die but will haunt the person.

I don't have any materials, was planning on scavenging from flea markets and such, nor any on paper design just one brewing in the noggin. I'm more of the person who has these strange and weird designs that I experiment with them as a thought, but this I truly want to come through with.

But are their any design programs that can run clock work designs to see if they are to function properly? Or Anyone that can assist me with this project ability to flourish.

Thanks for anyone who reads this and those who can reply and assist me in anyway.
- Moseley

Hmmm, I’m not sure if your choice of “clockworks” for search criterion isn’t limiting you to strictly the engine aspect of things. I got mostly, as expected, clock mechanisms when I searched on it. But when I searched on “automaton” or “automata” I got a lot more interesting stuff! Maybe that will lead down a more useful path?

There’s also a long-time YouTube channel just on mechanical moments. I’ve been a subscriber for a long time just because they’re interesting to see and think of ways to incorporate the designs into something. Here’s a link to his channel (I think)…

Right on Francist, I was thinking exactly the same thing “automata”. Also thang01046 is one I used to follow too. It might tangential to what the OP is looking for but another fav is 507 mechanical movements. It was published like 1865 or so but is just chock full of amazing mechanisms and clock escapes etc. somewhere I read many of the mechanisms were from the railroad and cotton mills.

Ah, thank you lads, this is quite helpful. And yes I was tunnel visioned on the phrase of clockwork but automation is more of the lines of my thoughts. I had only a grasp on the knowledge but these guides on mechanisms you've both suggested shall be most useful.

Any tips for acquiring a mainspring that is functional and well made? I feel like a scavenged one will not be good.

I've always been fascinated by this stuff but never attempted it. I'd love the chance to peer into an authentic automoton. There are a few people on IG that show some process but I don't think the will get you what you are after. Perhaps they could steer you toward better resources? There are also mechanical signing mechanism (autopen) i've seen that probably use the same principles. The only books i've ever seen don't really delve into the mechanics beyond their rapt accolades of the miraculous ingenuity - mostly pretty pictures of the front side.

Not what your after, but the Roentgen desk is well documented. might offer insight

We of the rabbit hole universe are always looking for the precise nomenclature because without it searches are a blank. Like I’m sure automation and automata are vastly different divergent rabbit holes. Since the advent of electric motors the process of automation is different from automata. I had an idea that would use a friction motor that so many toys of my youth were powered by and they are basically non existent having been replaced with motors and batteries. I would think unless you can find a group that is into this specific thing you would be on your own. Finding old toys and cuckoo clocks and dissecting them and reverse engineering them. There are several YouTube vids on making your own springs and if you’ve not seen him before you need to check out clickspring like where he does a whole series on making his own Antikythera mechanism.

Any tips for acquiring a mainspring that is functional and well made?
Depending on how much power you need an old tape measure has a reasonable spring inside the case as I recall.

Back