Which Boring Bar?

Thank you gents for chiming in.
mikey, you know exactly what I'm asking, lol. Yes, I have no idea what I'm doing, and just want to learn to use my lathe, including boring a few holes just to see "how it works".
I like your suggestion to avoid the insert type bars at this point and go with some decent quality bars as with the cobalt set that LMS carries.
Learning to grind my own is also going to happen in due time. I have a bunch of blanks that I need to learn to grind for the basic cuts too.

I have so much to learn......but this is why I'm here!

Thanks guys.

I would recommend you buy some of the cheap insert bars when you can get them to learn with also. You will crash something somewhere and you'll do it with a $12 bar and not a $50 or $75 one.
The solid carbide ones like the Micro 100 are excellent but there is zero forgiveness with them. They break before you even realize what happened.
I also agree with never having one that is small enough to fit into the bore.

Joe

Also if you haven't already seen it , search for the thread "A boring Primer " that Mikey wrote. It has some great information about boring a hole on a lathe.
And yes that thread cost me some money after reading about some good quality bars and I just had to try a couple. I bought a small. 250" diameter solid carbide bar that is just incredible.

Joe

Also if you haven't already seen it , search for the thread "A boring Primer " that Mikey wrote. It has some great information about boring a hole on a lathe.
And yes that thread cost me some money after reading about some good quality bars and I just had to try a couple.

Atta boy Mike ! :encourage: :grin:

@Spokerider our esteemed friend @mikey started an amazing thread on grinding your own tool bits.
I highly recommend checking it out in the beginners section.
Be warned it’s a 1,000 posts long but well worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Dave and David. I write too much. What is the equivalent term for verbal diarrhea as applied to the keyboard?

Back