Which lathes to consider

PM-1022V
It's a quality lathe and you won't be satisfied with anything smaller for very long.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

When you buy a machine the next thing should be safety glasses.

You have mentioned Clickspring's work on You tube, there is a retired Shop teacher; Mr.Pete222 or Tubalcain on the You tube website that gives a good presentation on safety.

There are two books that are nearly the same, How to Run a Lathe by Southbend Lathe Co. . The other with a similar title by Atlas Press Co.. that I think you will find highly informative. I have the one by Atlas Press Co.. When I acquired a mill, more technical machining information was needed so I bought a shop text book, Machineshop Operations and Setups by Lascoe, Nelson and Porter through Amazon.com. This website is your best machining problem resource.

Have a good day
Ray
I was facing a square piece of cast the other day and the chips were going everywhere. Safety glasses are minimal protection for your eyes. I wear glasses and safety glasses are a pain with glasses. I ordered a face shield that evening and it cost about $20 problem solved. Hot steel in my eye is something I can do without. I’d feel like a total loser if I blinded myself over $20. Just saying

I was facing a square piece of cast the other day and the chips were going everywhere. Safety glasses are minimal protection for your eyes. I wear glasses and safety glasses are a pain with glasses. I ordered a face shield that evening and it cost about $20 problem solved. Hot steel in my eye is something I can do without. I’d feel like a total loser if I blinded myself over $20. Just saying

I thought a face shield would be very awkward, but I really don't mind using it. I've actually forgotten I was wearing it a few times until I tried to scratch or wipe my face. I found some cheater safety glasses so that is what I use most of the time, but the face shield is nice for extra messy stuff like cast iron or for those times I misplace my safety glasses and don't feel like hunting them down.

I thought a face shield would be very awkward, but I really don't mind using it. I've actually forgotten I was wearing it a few times until I tried to scratch or wipe my face. I found some cheater safety glasses so that is what I use most of the time, but the face shield is nice for extra messy stuff like cast iron or for those times I misplace my safety glasses and don't feel like hunting them down.

When working with cast iron I also use a dust mask.

When working with cast iron I also use a dust mask.
That’s a good idea, and now we all have masks. It can’t be healthy sucking up fumes from the oil, wd40, or cutting fluid either and the mask might help with that too.

One can never tell what the future holds, but for now, I am limited to a single bench. For this reason, I was hoping to stick with a bench lathe. I am anticipating that I will need a bench grinder, a small drill press, an arbor press, etc. that would be brought out as needed, and share the bench. I would feel comfortable for now moving a 200# lathe by myself, a few years from now, maybe not. If it ends up over 200#, I will have to get more creative in the use of space, but this is not a game stopper. If I have an occasional need for a bigger lathe, I do have some friends that might help out.
I appreciate all the comments. Right now, I am leaning towards a LMS lathe. I don't think I can afford the PM either in space or money.
Where will this lathe reside?
What kind of access do you have to the space ?

Back