Which parting tool to get for mini lathe?

What advice were they?

As long as it is square to the material, extended just long enough to make the cut through, and at or slightly below the material's centerline, it works very well.

Tom

That's great! Thank you. I shall place an order!

Can Parting tools be used to turn my rod as well? With my intended purpose of creating a channel (maybe 1mm deep using the parting tool), can I then widen that channel across to maybe around 5mm using just the parting tool?

Like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-16-Sq-S...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4d272689f6

The top of the blade is thicker than the bottom, and this particular one has the grove in the top karl & John Mentioned. This one is 2mm wide, you might be able to find a 1.5mm or 1mm wide version. The narrowest one I listed above was only 1mm wide.

Aside from the tools merits and e-bay auction where the price will undoubtedly rise, I have an aversion to the second tool based on price. The auction is at 6.60 pounds / $10.10 versus 118.50 pounds / $181.30 or 18x the price. Certainly the first is under priced but the second seems overpriced.

Caster

Yeah I don't know why that happens with the prices. Whether they do it on purpose to bait people in or something... I got mine from this same seller (the first link) and i paid around £8 I think...

Aside from the tools merits and e-bay auction where the price will undoubtedly rise, I have an aversion to the second tool based on price. The auction is at 6.60 pounds / $10.10 versus 118.50 pounds / $181.30 or 18x the price. Certainly the first is under priced but the second seems overpriced.

Caster

That's great! Thank you. I shall place an order!

Can Parting tools be used to turn my rod as well? With my intended purpose of creating a channel (maybe 1mm deep using the parting tool), can I then widen that channel across to maybe around 5mm using just the parting tool?

You bet cha! (Minnesotan talking - add the accent yourself)

I used a parting tool about two weeks ago to make a pulley groove. Put the compound to the left 28. made a cut, then 28 to the right, made a cut. This after a couple stabs in the middle to ruff it out.

I've just been checking - this is too big for my tool holder :(
I've contacted the seller to see if he has small ones

how so? the shank is 5/16", that's thinner than your current 10mm tool.

how so? the shank is 5/16", that's thinner than your current 10mm tool.
I'll have to recheck. When I checked the other day, the blade holder looked to be too big for my toolpost to fit... I could be wrong and I hope I am coz this looks good!

Back