Which potentiometer to select speed for my VFD driven lathe spindle

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
I want to remotely control the spindle speed of my VFD driven lathe motor,
and I'd like to know if I'm understanding the info from manual (HUANYANG GT-Serie):

I have the choice between two analog input terminals, that have the following spec/descriptions:

AI1Analog Input: -10V ~ 10v, input impedance: 20 kOhm
AI2
Analog Input:
0-10V / 0-20 mA, switched by J16, input impedance: 10 kOhm (voltage input) / 250 Ohm (current input)
J16Switch between (0~10v) voltage input and (0~20mA) current input. V connect to GND means voltage input, I connect to GND means current input

I suppose that AI1 is meant for a potentiometer that also reverses voltage, since it goes from -10 to positive 10. I am assuming it is for cases where I want the ability to go in reverse by turning leftwards.

For a lathe this is NOT a good option IMO, and I would prefer to switch from forward to reverse by other means, and have a POT that only controls speed, from zero to max. So it seems that AI2 is the terminal I should use. but there are subtleties that are beyond my comprehension, so I'd like to get some advice on which POT I should get.

I'm surprised the manual doesn't specify a pot value
Electronically speaking, the input impedance and the pot value would be two different things, but a value of 10K is low enough
that it could be the actual pot value- they don't clarify. Also they don't say how much current the +10v output can supply
Pretty sure you don't want to go larger than 10K to avoid picking up noise

Last edited:
You want a linear pot, either 0 - 5K or 0 - 10K should work. I prefer a single turn pot for speed control. There is no reason to spend much money on this item. Note that most pots do NOT come with a knob, check the shaft size and order a knob to put on it.

Back