Which version of the Machinery Handbook would you recommend?

If you want to do CNC work, or use other machine types and techniques that are relatively new, then a newer reference book would probably suit you better when learning to use those machines. For basic mechanical machines and basic shop work, any of them will be fine, but the old ones were published when manual machines were all there was. A cheap used one from the 1950's to 1980's that is in decent shape, not falling apart, would cover 99+% of what most of us do in our home hobby shops, and, like having an old apron and some vintage tools, it makes you look like a wise old timer, which helps when you are really a lost newbie or a confused old man like me...

Don't bother. Unless you're an engineer it's useless. Everything you need to figure out is on the internet, along with all the answers.

Everyday another adventure . I was trying to locate an old Cub part and found a box of Audels books from the 20s from my uncle's dads shop .

I find the Engineer's Blackbook is so much better as a quick and handy reference in the shop. It lacks the breadth and depth of the MH but that's also it's strength- among several other advantages too (spiral bound, grease resistant, colored charts etc).

Everyday another adventure . I was trying to locate an old Cub part and found a box of Audels books from the 20s from my uncle's dads shop .
Yeah, I just purchased a Mitutoyo micrometer from the the early 60’s...just one of those things to look at and kinda of appreciate its existence?...I dunno, but I think it cool...

I find the Engineer's Blackbook is so much better as a quick and handy reference in the shop. It lacks the breadth and depth of the MH but that's also it's strength- among several other advantages too (spiral bound, grease resistant, colored charts etc).

Interesting...I guess I haven’t dove into other options...this just seems to be the bread and butter reference. I’ll look into that, thanks!

Bob's answer aligns well with my thinking. I would add that the old versions (a teens edition or earlier) have an awesome section on coloring metals. It is home brew recipes for making plating solutions for steel, copper etc. Needless to say this info has been dropped from the new more environmentally aware editions. If you are a real home shop do it yourselfer, this will appeal.

I mostly use my laminated zeus shop book(decades old and still looks new) but they don t call it the bible for nothing! The Men and Woman of yester year manualy cranking and mechanically driven. Immortal Brilliance! Were not even close!
The thing about the Mach. H is it s like a tool. You have to learn how to use it and not get lost.
Not my go to though. More of a solution solver or definite reference.

Bob's answer aligns well with my thinking. I would add that the old versions (a teens edition or earlier) have an awesome section on coloring metals. It is home brew recipes for making plating solutions for steel, copper etc. Needless to say this info has been dropped from the new more environmentally aware editions. If you are a real home shop do it yourselfer, this will appeal.
This is better than just note worthy!

In my Machinery's Handbook first edition reprint there is some really good heat treat information, given in simple instructions on how it is done, and appears to be written for smaller shops to use.

Back