Who is the sadist who designed the oil wicks for South Bend?

Still can't find a pin but the gears are keyed to the shaft so taking it apart to clean it would be purely aesthetic.

The clutch shaft and gears however do spin on the shaft so I pulled it out and cleaned it well. One end of the shaft the oil gallery screw won't come out so it will be staying. Unless I found out the through hole doesn't actually go through. Anyone know if it does or not?

There are wicks all over those lathes. Without them, the oil would run through.
The apron on my 13” single was the first time I had seen or dealt with wicks and taper pins.
I had no trouble with the pins.
The wick routing was a bit tricky!
I thought at the time, there has to be a better way, what did Monarch do?

Still can't find a pin but the gears are keyed to the shaft so taking it apart to clean it would be purely aesthetic.

The clutch shaft and gears however do spin on the shaft so I pulled it out and cleaned it well. One end of the shaft the oil gallery screw won't come out so it will be staying. Unless I found out the through hole doesn't actually go through. Anyone know if it does or not?

All these questions, but you still haven't bothered to tell us what lathe model you are talking about. Moving a 9" lathe can be done by an average man by himself. Moving a Heavy 10" lathe can be done by a strong man by himself. Moving a 13" lathe requires two men. Moving a 16" lathe requires a whole squad of men. Some of these lathes beds can be moved vertically with a dolly, but the heavier ones I wouldn't even consider moving like that. It becomes the old inverted pendulum problem with about a half a ton of cast iron to control. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

As for the pins, they are there - find them.

All these questions, but you still haven't bothered to tell us what lathe model you are talking about. Moving a 9" lathe can be done by an average man by himself. Moving a Heavy 10" lathe can be done by a strong man by himself. Moving a 13" lathe requires two men. Moving a 16" lathe requires a whole squad of men. Some of these lathes beds can be moved vertically with a dolly, but the heavier ones I wouldn't even consider moving like that. It becomes the old inverted pendulum problem with about a half a ton of cast iron to control. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

As for the pins, they are there - find them.
It is a 1940 10" L.

And I figured out the pin on the Christmas tree. There wasn't one. I don't know if they built it on a Monday or if it wasn't supposed to have one, but it for sure isn't there and never was. No hole in the shaft where there may have been one and the nut was replaced at some point. It was just very tight and needed a little extra oomph to bust it loose.

The whole lathe is a bit odd. It has features of a 9" and features of the larger lathes mixed together. The spindle wicks are neither the short 1.25" nor the long 2.25". They measure 1-5/8"ish. The tail stock is built like the 9" without the lubrication wicks of the 10"on the base.

I still need to get a serpentine belt for it. I went to the local auto store and told the guy at the counter I needed a serpentine belt, he asked what make, model and year of car. Told him it wasn't for a car, it needed to be an inch wide and 58" long. A little narrower would be fine but wider was no good. Then I showed him the leather belt.

He looked at me like I had snakes on my head. He had no idea how to figure out the length of a belt. Since they keep all the belts behind the counter he wouldn't let me paw through them to figure out what was what. I will try the other auto parts place next time.

http://www.daycoproducts.com/online-catalog-1?part_type=20

A Dayco 5080580 is 58" long and 1.1" wide - 8 ribs
5060575 57.5" long and .82 wide - 6 ribs

Both on ebay under $10

Could also get a 580K6 59.0" 6 ribs ~ .8" wide
or 6PK580 but none on ebay

When I got mine I just price checked within .5" either way ie: 575, 580 and 585 but some are not in .5" increments ie: 582 = 58.2

Funny how parts people cannot remember that the length of the belt is part of the number! Worked parts counter at a GM dealership for 10 years, and belts was the easier items to work with.

http://www.daycoproducts.com/online-catalog-1?part_type=20

A Dayco 5080580 is 58" long and 1.1" wide - 8 ribs
5060575 57.5" long and .82 wide - 6 ribs

Both on ebay under $10

Could also get a 580K6 59.0" 6 ribs ~ .8" wide
or 6PK580 but none on ebay

When I got mine I just price checked within .5" either way ie: 575, 580 and 585 but some are not in .5" increments ie: 582 = 58.2
Good to know. Probably cheaper than the auto parts places.
Funny how parts people cannot remember that the length of the belt is part of the number! Worked parts counter at a GM dealership for 10 years, and belts was the easier items to work with.
Young kid, place has only been open about 6 months. He probably just mastered the computer lookup. Will likely take him longer to figure out the belt size is part of the stock number.
You have an early, early 10L. Here's the SB timeline of the tailstock changes:
View attachment 295407
That is cool. I knew it was kind of an oddball when I bought it. The early 10" lathes were like a mid year model in 1938. The catalog I have seen had an addendum in it that said the 10" were replacing several but not all of the 9" models. I've thought about adding way wipers to the tailstock since I have them in the wick set. Will be a project for the future.

Me too, worked a Ford parts counter for 25+ years.
A 6 rib SERP belt would be, JK6-976. =6 rib, 97.6” long.

I went to my local bearing place,with a list of bronze bushes.....I showed the kid on the counter,saying..the part no. is usually the size......kid looked for a while,fiddled with the screen.......then he yells out..".All these numbers are doing my head in",and out the back......manager comes out,after a little tete a tete,he produces a printout of all the sizes ,but converted to metric.....to about 8 places of decimals....anyway,next he goes out the back,comes out with a box with a lot of bushes....says...Here ,give us $20 ,and you can have the lot........we wont be restocking...no more bushes....Did I mention the bearing shop is now half given over to toys and will soon be all toys

Back