Who makes a good file these days?

I also am looking for replacements for my dull files and Ebay has NOS Nicholsons for around $20 per file or so.

There was a post here (or maybe another site) that had a place you could send files to and they would sharpen them and send them back. Here it is: https://boggstool.com/ They charge anywhere from $1.50 to $8.50 to sharpen files. You pay shipping.

I’ve only ever had one new file, so I probably don’t have much to offer. It was a umm….yeah idk. It worked like all the rest. Faster than sandpaper and slower than a mill. Lol

Update:
A few days ago, I received the Grobet files described in the OP.
Of the three grades I bought, the coarsest, 1/0, grade is closest to the Mill Bastard.
2/0 is coarser than 1/0 and may be a closer match to the Mill Bastard, but I didn't buy 2/0.

I've only used the 1/0 file so far. What a pleasure. It's a real cutting tool.

I don't remember feeling the old Nicholson as smooth and bite as well the new Grobet, but that may be more about my memory.
Almost $20 each for a small hand file still seems a lot to me, but that's the nature of things these days.
I'm pleased to have them in my kit.

Well I stop at the addiction store again on Saturday. I spent more time in there this time as I was taking a break while visiting dad at the nursing home.
Another NOS Nick file, 3 6” Stubs that were discounted due to a little surface rust, paks of drills - unknown quality to me but likely better than the truly cheap stuff from hardware stores, some metal drops and the two older Craftman 1/2” drive handles.
Pierre
072A2A39-8209-4178-A561-044B4421137F.jpeg

The Grobet files are excellent. They’re in jewelry maker’s catalogs and popular with gunsmiths. I have several of the Swiss Cut files. With a little practice, every pass is a finished perfect cut. Worth every penny.

I've been buying the "faithful" brand files when I get a new file, seem to be quite good , love the large bastard files they do , very cutty :)

Stu

Just avoid Pedo files if you come across them, they're detestable!

Pferd are the best in my opinion.
I agree with @sycle1, pretty much nothing beats the cost-performance ratio of Pferds. However, if cost isn’t a factor, then I’d recommend to check out Vallorbe files.

I wish they’d start producing proper Oberg files again. The modern Öberg branded Bahco stuff doesn’t come anywhere near the old Swedish-made stuff.

Last edited:
Tome Feteira files are very good files. Made in Portugal and available on arceurotrade.co.uk

Back