Who makes a good torque wrench

samstu

Registered
Registered
My trusty Craftsman 1/2 torque wrench has bit the dust after 25 years. The lenses are fogged and the handle now slips and it's the handle which controls which line of torque values is visible. So I need a replacement. Sure, I have one of those digital 1/2 adapter gizmos which works fine, but it's not as simple as my old craftsman. So I want a nice mid-range torque wrench to replace my Craftsman but all I see online looks like junk. I work on old stuff like trucks and tractors, so I don't need perfect accuracy. Any recommendations?

KD Tools, Snap-on for good ones. My Harbor Freight 1/2 drive seems to work OK also but I would not guarantee the calibration, had it for a number of years.

Precision Instruments and Sturtevant Richmont are the two best torque wrench makers in the US, I think. Precision Instruments makes them for Snap On and I don't know who else. S-R is often found in assembly lines for major manufacturers. I have multiple wrenches from both makers and they are accurate, reliable and repeatable ... at least I think so. I only have one of those digital torque checker things but it seemed to read accurately when I checked it against a freshly calibrated torque wrench so I use it.

Best prices for both PI and SR wrenches is on ebay. If I could pick one type, I would get the split beam wrenches. They are rated to be within 4% of dead on anywhere above 20% of their range and I've found them to be more accurate than that.

I have both Snap On and Matco torque wrenches.
they were not cheap to buy, but they have served for 30 years each

My go to favorite is a Central Tool, #6353 1/2" "click stop"; set it for the torque desired, and it gives a loud click noise when the setting is reached.

I have Snap On 3/8" and 1/2". Had them nearly 20 years now. I had my Snap On rep check them a couple of years ago and they were still within spec. They were not cheap but quality tools aren't.

I have a 3/8” Williams and 1/2” Williams and 3/4” Snap On torque meter. I really like the Williams, but they are out dated.
Cheers
Martin

Most torque specs call out a range. Many books list an exact number, but the engineers recognize the difficulty in achieving that. I would consider repeatability a greater asset than actual accuracy. Good precision tools are not cheap.

1/4” 3/8” 1/2”Snap on have been in spec every time checked. Not cheap but are good tools

Snap On offers torque wrenches with an accuracy range of either 2% or 4%. Naturally the greater the accuracy the higher the price. I have a couple TQ series (4% accuracy range) 1/2" flex head models and a 3/8" flex head model. The 1/2 models run around $400.00 today and the 3/8" models are in the $370.00 range. Snap On currently offers several dozen different torque wrenches. Depending on the style, model, accuracy level, and size they range from around $200.00 to well over $1,500.00

Back