Who takes it apart - when it's brand new ?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just askin'.
I do! I already knew there was quite a lot wrong with me. :(
My new floor-standing pillar drill has had a total run time of about 90 seconds while in one piece. No actual drill bit fitted!
(Not happy about vibration).

Not quite the same, but raises hand. Took apart two new arbors to figure out what was wrong with them. Machined a special shoulder bolt so I could indicate the offending parameter. First arbor was not good, requested a replacement. Second arbor, received gratis, also not good. So indicated them. Repaired them both, but a bit miffed at the quality of the manufacturer. Both arbors had same problem, the clamp screw was not drilled on the spindle axis, but offset radially from the axis 0.014-0.020", depending on the arbor. If the arbor cap counterbore had more clearance it wouldn't have mattered, but the manufacturer chose to have a very tight fit.

It depends, I won't take something apart that doesn't give me a reason to.
New to me vintage tools, I probably will to some degree just for cleaning, checking for possible issues and just piece of mind starting off fresh.
New Chinese machines / tooling I likely will as they are notorious for including casting sand, chips and mystery lubricant.
Other stuff probably not without good reason.

Kinda on the same note here , my neighbor runs race cars in SC and SG . When the cars run bad , he takes them apart . When they run great , he takes them apart . I think he's a lot like us . :grin:

Good luck with that!
It's not at all completely solved yet, but I have found two partial causes. It has the two-belts+ middle idler pulley system to give a lot of speed choices. The vee-belts had stood in storage long enough to have taken a "set" such that if taken out and laid flat, they don't assume a near circle, but have gone oval. The rhythmic change in tension as the belt passes over the pulleys puts a vibration in, and I can feel it has significant energy.

The metal guard over is going to receive some serious noise dampening treatment, maybe the adhesive backed stuff like used on truck floors. It's not any cause of vibration, but it sure makes the best of making an amplified racket.

Running the motor with it's first pulley alone has a different vibration, which I think is about the balance of the first pulley. At the price, I would have expected better, but the hassle and cost of returning it all competes with what measures I can take to "improve" it, so that's what I am doing.

Sorry, I'm actually getting off the subject in my own posting. I just find myself taking apart brand new stuff before I even start using it. Before I even get going with the small mill, I have in mind to get a look into it's innards with a view to making some changes, and it's still in it's shipping crate! It's like a personality disorder!

I take some apart. Especially Chineese kits. I make sure the grit and grime are out.
I make sure they are greased properly. So many times not enough grease, there will be grease in there but none on the gears.

On german stuff... no need. On USA stuff, yes. I don't think we are as good as we used to be. On Japanese stuff (made in Japan) no..

I don't necessarily take everything apart when I get it, but most things get modified almost on day one. OK well, as far as machining stuff goes, I did disassemble my no name China 8" rotary table a couple days after I got it. Cleaned it all up, deburred the gears, still not all that happy with it. I haven't used it yet so maybe it will be OK for my needs.

Back