Resolved Why am I getting Google ads?

I would ask the same question! I would like to eliminate them; is this site (HM) in control of them? I am quite fed up with seeing them, especially dating sites that appear in between posts.

Upvote 0
I noted that while looking at this post, another ad came up saying that if I upgraded to Google Chrome, I would not have to see the ads--- sounds like blackmail to me --- I think HM should do something about this situation, I am seeing more and more ads for off the wall products and services that are not appropriate for a large percentage of folks who use this site.

Upvote 0
you can use an ad blocker ( i do)
AdBlock can be added to google chrome and other platforms
here is a link

i don't see any annoying ads on HM after i installed AdBlock

Upvote 0
I'd go so far as to pay HM to reduce ads... oh, wait...

While I know that's not exactly what site support is all about, I'd still like a completely ad free option for supporting members.

I've got ADHD brain, so ads cause problems for me when I'm trying to enjoy reading.

Upvote 0
This site is rather expensive to maintain. And the costs keep slowly rising. If you will click on the Donations button in the main tool bar at top of screen, you will see that non donors and $10 donors see all of the ads. $25 donors see three per screen. And $50 donors and above see none.

Most ad vendors like AdSense at least claim that some of what they show you is driven by your browsing history. This can be modified if every time that you are shown an offensive ad you take a few seconds and click on the button that is visible near the top right corner of the ad and then click on the Inappropriate or Offensive content choice before you scroll on past. There are usually at least two and sometimes three choices on these screens. Always pick the one that is the most negative to you. There is only one thing that you can do to make the ads go completely away. Short of doing that, you can at least to some degree drive what ads are shown to you. But don't use the Inappropriate button inappropriately.

Regardless of all of that, unless a significant percentage of our more than 20,000 members become donors (which is quite unlikely), the ads are not going to go away.

Upvote 0
It seems like I just started getting the ads a few days ago, or maybe I just started to notice them. Pretty sure they are a new thing for me.

Upvote 0
How many ads are you seeing? Based on what I see when I log in as my Gold Member alter ego, you should see three, which agrees with the Donations list visible by clicking on Donations in the main tool bar. One is at top of screen just below the top or main tool bar. The other two are near the bottom of screen, just above and just below the last normal item, which varies depending upon what screen you are showing.

Also, the button to click on if you want to try to stop a particular ad is the X, not the triangle. After clicking on the X, click on Report and then on Inappropriate if that is one of the four choices. That will cause the ad to disappear until you go to another screen or refresh the current screen.

Upvote 0
For example, I just opened the thread "Die holder for the lathe" There were a total of 11 posts and I have an ad at the top header, three more ads amougst the posts and a fifth ad at the bottom. I didn't get these before, at least not the ads between every 3rd post. Is this the way it is now?

Upvote 0
Back