Why I need two drill presses in my shop

I think the word "Need" is being used here very subjectively but yeah I guess you could use a second drill press to act as support table!

Btw that sure is one long tow bar extension! Is there a particular reason to Need a tow bar that long or is it still a work in progress?

Well, seeing as I got both machines free I can't complain much. I was getting ready to get rid of one of them but now I'm having second thoughts....

The extension is for pulling my sailboat out of the water on it's trailer, I've borrowed a couple of 4' extensions in the past and always wanted just a little bit more.

masse.jpg

Nice boat. Yeah now i see the need. What is she, a 30ft'er? Is she an ocean vessel or do you prefer inland lakes?

She's a San Juan 7.7 (26ft) and I keep her moored at the Grand Traverse Yacht Club in Traverse City, MI.

I don’t see any reason to stop at two. I’m down to one now, but I had three for awhile. One set up with a countersink bit, one for drilling holes, and one to pretend I’d fix someday.

I have four, one's dedicated to one bit, two are a pair for two hole details, the fourth is for other uses.

Just gotta jump into this one. There are several in my shop. First is on Wife's bench, with dedicated (m/l) tooling for her pen making. Then there's the little(?) one, actually a HF mini-mill with a 1/4 drill chuck sorta permanantly mounted. I do a lot of very small model work that involves tap drilling acrylics. If the drill is too fast, the inside of the hole melts and is too big to hold threads. Try tapping 2-56 into the edge of 3/16 plexi...... The Dremel is much too high speed. And not that accurate. But it works well for electronics circuit boards. But it's a drill press, so I guess counts.

Then there's the bigger machine, a 17" Craftsman with a 5/8 chuck, for anything over 1/4 inch, forstener bits, spade drills, that sort of thing. A floor model that I have given thought to altering to a bench version. And a couple of cheapo Chinese 3/8" bench machines. But they're still in the boxes, stored JIC. So those don't really count. Hand drills...... there are several, some battery, some corded, some "eggbeater", and numerous drill chucks with a handle. Oh, and several "pin vises", 0 to 1/8. But they're also tap handles. For the small taps, #4 to #000.

The really big electric, 5/8", is used for many non drilling purposes, like mixing paint or sheet rock mud. And a few that were given to me busted, which I then fixed. I never use them, they just take up shelf space. But they're there if I ever need one.

?Do I have too many? Well, I don't trip over one when I walk around in the shop. So, I would have to say NO. And if I find something I can't do with what I have, there'll be yet another.

Back