Why We Still Buy Cheap Tools

Tool companies are bought and sold so often now that it is hard to keep up. Many tools that were known for their quality several years ago are now owned by companies that care only for the bottom line. So some brands of tools that you could buy with confidence 10 years ago are pretty much junk now.
Why is it that with the advance technology (better metals, better manufacturing processes, etc.) there are no better tools, just ones made cheaper?
https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/playlists does a lot of unsponsored and unbiased tool tests. If you haven't checked his videos out you might want to. Some profanity though.

In general I buy what I need when I need it and buy the best quality I can, but there are many variables at work in tool acquisition ;-)

If the need isn't pressing and I want a particular item I'll save up rather than buy cheap.

While I'm saving for something I also shop around and search in case something comes up second hand at the right price, my Quick and Integi cut knurling tools came up that way, last week I picked up an as new 100Kg Lift Trolley for 1/4 of it's retail price from a business that had upgraded their lifting equipment.

If I see something interesting that I like and, based on the current contents of my tool fund, is affordable and might come in handy then I'll buy it, my Diatest bore gauging kits and Coventry die heads arrived via this route when I was invited to explore the nether regions of an engineering tool shop which was closing.

The other side of it is does a Snap-On tool really justify its price? Sure its got a great warranty if you can catch the truck, but they still break.

I spent years as a dealership panel beater and the only time I broke Snap-On tools was when I knew I was abusing them to get a job done quickly and where I should have gone another route, that was the 80s and quality may have changed but I still keep an eye out for good condition second hand Snap On from "back in the day", it even feels nice ;-)

I believe Snap-on, Mac, Cornwell, add considerably for the convenience of them coming to you so you don't have to shop evenings/weekends for tools. Plus over the years the status of "Snap-on". I have turned in a few Craftsman tools for warranty and never had a question. I will pick up the best used if found at flea mkt, auction, or pawnshop. If I have an application for a tool I don't have and it is a one-time or limited use I will buy cheap, when/if it breaks I'll replace it with the better. If it will be for on-going use then I will buy the better.
dd

I have a full mix of tools. Some that I have had since before graduating high school. Craftsman got to be a pain to get replaced and the replacements did not seem to hold up that well, Snap-on Hard to find a dealer, Proto have not seen any dealers in my area, SK same problem. All around me are selling the cheap stuff. I have a section of the tool box for the broken higher priced stuff. After a big lot of my tools were stolen about 15 year ago, I replaced those with A mix of what I though was good quality lifetime warrantee stuff, Found it does not do any better than some of the cheaper stuff, and some times the cheaper stuff had a better hand feel and worked just as well. One of the things I have come to appreciate is how a tool feels when using it, Sharp boxy edges or smooth rounded etc. but all in all it is almost like a C_____ shoot as to what you get even from the big name tools.

Before I became a mechanic I worked out of my dad's part Craftsman the rest mish mash box at home. I don't know why but I never did like the feel of Craftsman wrenches. The first two jobs I had rebuilding VW engines had tools so I used a lot of different brands and not until I bought my first Proto mechanic set in '74 did I actually like the wrenches. It's a standard set because I was working as a AG mechanic/fabricator/welder and there was two sets, normal length and heft and a short thinner set of wrenches. Still have the whole set and never broke anything but got a couple never returned or lost. When you make a living with tools it makes a difference and they have become like cherished old friends that have gotten me out of many a scrape.

When I worked at a dealership there was an old guy who came around in a small van and sold good tools like S&K, Thorsen and others along with specialty tools. I bought specific sets from him to get by. Same with MAC and Snap-On. So my main box is all Proto, Mac and Snap-On. Each set like my metric wrenches (MAC) or 1/4" drive (Snap-On) were because the set was nicer and solved a problem I kept running into. Learned how a good socket is broached inside made all the difference in some jobs.

When I quit being a car mech and went to packing equipment I bought all HF. I still used some things like my Snap-On screw drivers, dead blow steel hammer and Proto heel bar, but almost everything else didn't have to be good or special. And I went from a huge tamale cart to a 50lb box that could go on a plane for when we did installs. Most of the HF's were ground on, bent, modified and mangled. I'd never do that with my Proto or Mac(only have a couple of special Snap-On wrenches). Never have broken a HF and don't miss it when it drops down in a black hole either.

I've been out of touch with Snap-On for a while and the only tool truck I see is a Matco guy who lives close. But I had a problem with the plastic coating on my dead blow hammer. It got brittle and just cracked and fell off during use. I emailed them with a pic and they told me to destroy the old hammer(yeah right;) and sent me a new one. It's a very nice steel dead blow with two handles built in so you can choke up on it for those tight spots. I don't know if they have me on record somewhere or what, but I dealt with several different Snap-On dealers and they just asked me the approximate time and where and sent me a new one.

I was a repair shop owner and mechanic for over 20 years, from the late 1960’s through the late 1980’s. I started with Craftsman tools, mainly because of the price and availability. There was a Sears store in our town, but Snap On tool dealers were few and far between. The Craftsman tools worked fine on cars of that era mainly because room was plentiful under the hood.

As time went on the cars got smaller and smaller. As a result, the once plentiful space was now gone. It became more and more difficult to get the bulky Craftsman wrenches into the tight spots. Add to that all repairs were made on a flat rate basis and it was time to find a better alternative.

In the early 1970’s a Snap On dealer came by the shop and tried to interest me in some new tools. They looked great, but were EXPENSIVE. I resisted for several months. Finally, he gave me a few wrenches. He told me to “try them out”. He said he’s stop back in a few weeks to see what I thought of them.

I tried them as requested, and what a difference. The Snap On tools had a much thinner profile, a better angle of the business end to handle arrangement, and a better over all feel in the hand. The most amazing part is that they easily fit in places the Craftsman tools couldn’t go. They turned what was a 3-hour job into a 1-hour job. They were also much easier on the hands. I became a convert. I took most my Craftsman tools to the house, and replaced them with Snap On.

Over the years I spent thousands of dollars on Snap On tools and never regretted it. Very few have been replaced due to wear or damage. The biggest replacement cost was due to theft. When time is money quality tools make the difference between making money and going broke.

In the early 1980’s Mac and Matco came on the scene. They were what I would consider the mid-price contenders. At the time they were better than Craftsman but not quite the quality of Snap On. They were however appealing in that their prices were significantly less than Snap On. I did purchase some things from both of the new competitors and by in large found they were of acceptable quality. The majority of the tools I bought in that time period are nearing 50 years old and are still in excellent condition.

I doubt that anyone other than a professional that uses their hand tools 50+ hours a week would benefit from the difference in form and quality between the current Snap On and Craftsman tools. Craftsman and other lower price tool manufacturers have upped their game to the point that they are more than sufficient for the shade tree mechanic, casual user, and hobbyist. I haven’t purchased a Snap On tool since the late 1980’s. Again mostly because of price, and the fact that I don’t think there would be any physical advantage as to the difference in construction for what they are used for today.

The truth be known I think that the vast majority of the tools I own will survive in fine working condition long after I’m gone.

I buy the tool that fits the need/requirement. Sometimes that's a high-end tool, sometimes not. When a cheap(er) pair of pliers will work, why waste money where I don't need to? To brag about the labels in my tool box? Hardly. :)

I can patiently wait my turn when at the flea market or similar and get the top of the line stuff at next to nothing prices:grin:. And I tried once to replace a broken Snap On ratchet. Found the truck, the guy said I was not on his route/a client so no deal. Never tried again with any Snap On stuff, left a bad taste in my mouth:mad:. I like their stock(SNA) though:)!

Almost identical experience I had with snap-on tools. I currently don't own anything snap-on makes. I purchase craftsman tools because, they honor their product replacement guarantee.

And I tried once to replace a broken Snap On ratchet. Found the truck, the guy said I was not on his route/a client so no deal. Never tried again with any Snap On stuff, left a bad taste in my mouth:mad:. I like their stock(SNA) though:)!

Here in England I flagged down a rep I'd never met before for my last replacement under warranty, no problems. :D

Back