WHY with this dumb password ....

GK1918

Active User
Registered
why,,, all is good, I try to help someone, on another site like model t club next I know password and or user dont match. been there
a long time. So what the big secret passwords all that crap. mine is all the same. It is said its all because of crooks . Welcome, crooks
you going to spend money gettin in, ta me cause -0- minus -0- equals -0-. crooks seeing this be advised I sold all out for $1.00 to my
kid. Dont know i am in the phone book listed on D&B established bussiness and I need passwords??????????????? web was a good thing
now I forsee Its going down the tubes. welcome to the future (doumb and dumber)

Nahh, the techies are working on bioID systems.....fingerprints, retina scanners, all that scifi stuff. Someday we'll have an RFID chip in our head that lets our machines recognize us and we won't need passwords at all any more.

Nahh, the techies are working on bioID systems.....fingerprints, retina scanners, all that scifi stuff. Someday we'll have an RFID chip in our head that lets our machines recognize us and we won't need passwords at all any more.

As a network security engineer for one of the largest banks in the country and a certified information security professional, I would submit that while passwords may someday go away, they will be around for quite a while. Retina scanners, fingerprints and other biometric devices are still only single factor authentication. Single factor authentication is one thing what will indeed go away quickly. In any secure environment, two factor authentication is the minimum requirement. The two most common factors is something that you know (like a password) and something that you have (like a RSAsecureid Fob that changes 6 digits every minute) So you use your password and then add the current 6 digit number presented by the fob. With things like retina scanners, you will combine something you are (your retina or fingerprint) with something you know (password) or have (secureid fob). Some very secure areas use 3 factor authentication. Something you have (fob) something you are (retina) and something that knows you (secure database). So the bottom line is it is going to get worse, not better. With all that being said, I believe that passwords on entertainment web sites (like this one) are ok for protecting the trivial (in the big picture) data on these sites.

Earl

Totally agree Earl. Little tongue-in-cheek there. I dabble in the field a bit myself, in terms of access control. We are a long way from the RFID chip I mentioned, if in fact it ever happens.

It is accepted that most people use weak passwords though, and on sites where there is no critical information exchanged, I am of the opinion that there is really no need to complicate things by having more than a single, simple layer of security in place.

Yes I aggee with all. But I just posted this question, went off line, made myself a snack, came back online here we go again. Either this
things got a evil mind or something. Checking "remember me" does not work either. Its like it goes good for a long time, then some unknown
reason it dumps all pass words. Then not accepting me to log on [same user pass word] its just a pain. The most pain is that evil box that
says user name is already in use. No kidding its me. I just think there shouldn't be all this security with people discussing machines. Dealing
online with your bank is a different security matter than talking about drilling holes which is no secret..
Computor may have just had a senior moment. oh well

sam

Unfortunately most forum software is written by geeks and the users don't know how to change it. On one of the forums I use (whose owner does seem to know something about software) the password can be four letters, not bad. But all others seem to want 8, and the really nasty ones want some caps or figures. If someone wants to sign on as me, who cares?

No way for me to know without seeing the computer, and I don't know how much you know, so please don't think I'm assuming you're a dummy. :)

Yes I aggee with all. But I just posted this question, went off line, made myself a snack, came back online here we go again. Either this
things got a evil mind or something. Checking "remember me" does not work either. Its like it goes good for a long time, then some unknown
reason it dumps all pass words.
That sounds a lot like all the "cookies" were deleted from your computer. There are various programs out there that will do that for you on purpose, but you have the hassle of having to re-login on all your regularly accessed web sites.

Then not accepting me to log on [same user pass word] its just a pain. The most pain is that evil box that
says user name is already in use.
Are you trying to register again? That wouldn't work because you're login name is still there, the password just doesn't match. Try looking for a "forgot my password" button.

No kidding its me. I just think there shouldn't be all this security with people discussing machines. Dealing
online with your bank is a different security matter than talking about drilling holes which is no secret..
Computor may have just had a senior moment. oh well
I use a service called "Lastpass" that remembers all my passwords for me. That way you can make sure that they are all different and un-guessable (and unremember-able!) and Lastpass keeps track of it all for you. That sort of thing is really the only option these days if you want to keep people out AND keep your sanity.

You could take your computer and throw it out the window. That would get rid of those PITA passwords, usernames, cookies…all that stuff! Might even save a few $ on your electric bill too.

They'll have to put a bullet in my head before I let anyone implant me with a chip. I treasure my freedom way too much. The rfid chip is the beginning of a slavery like this planet has never seen before in history. IMO.

Back