Will this work?

Tuba Dave

Registered
Registered
On my Logan lathe I use a box wrench for the tailstock clamp nut. I got a real Logan (style ?) tailstock wrench off eBay, but it seems worn out and loose on the nut. It works, but is a very sloppy fit. It is the right size BTW, I know there are 2 sizes.

I was thinking of using JBWeld to "refit" the wrench to the nut (with wax paper covering the nut used as a "form")
Will JB Weld hold up to this kind of use, or will it crumble the first time I tighten the tailstock clamping nut?

I've only ever used JBW to plug holes in my steel sink

(I would love to just build it up with welding, but I can't do that. It's on my list of skills to acquire)

Heavy nuts are larger across the flats than standard nuts. For example, a standard nut for a 3/8" thread is 9/16" across the flats while a heavy nut is 11/16". Coupling nuts also come in various widths across the flats. If the wrench isn't badly worn, you could custom fit a nut to the wrench.

If you aren't concerned about using an authentic Logan wrench, you could modify an off the shelf wrench to fit. I made one for my Grizzly G0602 using a socket and the handle from an old 1/4" ratchet. It stays resident on the tailstock nut but can be removed and/or repositioned if necessary.

Back