Wilton vise repair - need advice

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a nice welding bench in an auction this weekend that had a large Wilton vise on it - I think it's a C3. While I was mainly interested in the bench, I was excited to have the vise as well. On closer inspection, I found that someone had attempted to weld the stem to the moveable jaw. As you can see from the pic, the weld has completely failed. Also, there are 3 tapped holes in the jaw casting for bolts to jam onto the stem. After removing the bolts, I was able to slip the stem out of the casting. There is absolutely no thread engagement between the stem and casting. So I'm puzzled as to how this happened in the first place. Was the fit sloppy from the factory and eventually the threads stripped? I don't think properly fitting threads would have stripped like that.

Regardless of why this happened originally, I'm left to decide if this vise is worth re-repairing, and if so, how to go about it. Some options I've come up with so far are:
  1. Use the tapped holes in the casting and drill into the stem, so that the bolts actually pass thru the wall of the stem.
  2. Grind the failed weldment off of the stem and braze it in the same place. Possibly do this in combination with option 1.
  3. Make a new stem with threads to match the casting. This is obviously the most complicated (and quite possibly beyond my ability)
What do y'all think - waste of time? Any other ideas?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just bought new jaws for my 400s , eBay nos Wilton, hope there goodins, $39.

The Wilton bullet vises are built hell for stout. It takes major abuse to achieve a failure like you are looking at. Considering the investment you have in it, you can certainly attempt to repair it, but the repair might well fail, so don't spend much money on it or waste too much time and effort. It looks like a difficult but interesting challenge...

Reactions: tjb
Do an internet search for parts. You'll probably find that they are somewhat expensive. I repaired mine, then saw used vices cheaper than the parts. Local ad papers are a good place to look along with eBay and Craigslist

Hard to believe the factory used such a fine thread. Those side bolts may have been added later. You might try JB welding back together, it might make a pretty strong repair, but you still have the screw to deal with. Tough decision.
Mark S.

Last edited:
No idea if this is even possible or worth it but ...
Since it looks like you have quite a bit of meat there could you make a custom thread repair insert? Thread a sleeve internally to fit the shaft and thread the OD of the insert to match new threads cut in the vise jaw. I don't know why it wouldn't work (but I'm sure someone will point out why :drunk:).
If you don't have a lathe I bet someone here would take on the project.

Looks like someone been using it like a press, it's all bent and the treads streeped, if you can fix it for less money then buying a good one do it, better repair would be to clean everything ground the old weld off, and braze it with silicon bronze make sure to get shrunk in between the two parts, and should hold as good as new.

TJ,
I've restored a couple bullet vises. My suggestion to you is that unless this has value to you as a collectible, remain aware that
repair and parts could run you close to what a newer used model in perfect shape might cost you. I tend to steer away from welded vises
if anything better is available.

There's always one or two in every auction listing I see. They go for $50 -$250 range and usually attached to a ratty (or sometimes not) work bench. If your not in a hurry it could be better option. Time and effort to rebuild plus cost of parts then still having something less than ideal doesn't sound appealing. To me at least.

Just ordered new jaws for this one, Wilton wanted $118. Ebay N.O.S $38. Guess wich ones I ordered
IMG_0374.JPG
Cobbled together the aluminum soft jaws

Back