[How-To] Wire 440v mill for 220v

I think you're good to go, at least for trysies
I'm guessing the motor is about 1.5 HP?
-Mark

That is the overload relay unit that the thermal overloads screw into (typically called heaters). I tried to do a quick internet search for the heaters and didn't have any luck. I suspect that your mag starter may be a discontinued item. That doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get the heaters for it. If I were you, I call one of the suppliers like these guys :
They should be able to help you. The heaters for your mag starter will look almost exactly like the Square D units that I posted the link to in my previous post.

Ted

That is the overload relay unit that the thermal overloads screw into (typically called heaters). I tried to do a quick internet search for the heaters and didn't have any luck. I suspect that your mag starter may be a discontinued item. That doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get the heaters for it. If I were you, I call one of the suppliers like these guys :
They should be able to help you. The heaters for your mag starter will look almost exactly like the Square D units that I posted the link to in my previous post.

Ted
Ok, thanks! I'll check it out next chance I get...

-Bear

Ted

Ok, I looked at the overload relays... they each have a heater, part number C10.4B...

20201116_163243.jpg

That is what I'm looking at, correct?

-Bear

Yes, those are the heaters. Probably rated at 10.4 Amps. I say probably because some manufacturers used numbers that were not the amperage rating. I just can't remember for sure how GE designated their heaters. Been too many years. I use to have the heater charts for most of the major manufacturers. I'll check tomorrow to see if I can find them.

Ted

Ok, thanks! I appreciate the help!

-Bear

Bear,
Here are the GE heater charts
The chart for the CR124C (Size 0,1) lists the heater part numbers. Looks like you probably need CR123C867A heaters. The existing heaters you have are kind of puzzling to me. They are rated at 9.92 Amps which is a little high for your motor (8.4 Amp rated) and way too high if it was wired for 480 Volts. I'm guessing that someone put those heaters in at some time when the machine was wired for 240 Volts. Also, I'm just assuming that your mag starter is a NEMA Size 0 or Size 1. You should check that to make sure. It should be designated on the face of the starter.

Ted

I was thinking some more about your situation. Many of those thermal overload relays have a dial on them that you can set from about 80% to about 120%. This allows you to change the trip point of those heaters from about 8 Amps to about 12 Amps. So, if it has that dial, you could set it to about 85% and use the heaters you have. Worth checking.

Ted

Back