Wiring a brushless spindle motor

Dave01

Registered
Registered
So I bought a china spindle spindle motor package for making a tool post grinder. Its a brushless DC motor and most of it came prewired except for the wires coming from the motor. The seller does not have a wiring diagram. Through my research and looking at pictures, I have concluded that it is to be wired as:
U = red wire
V = blue wire
W = black wire

questions:
1) Is the above correct?
2) Can specific wires be switched around to reverse the motors direction?20200914_134843.jpg

Diagram it out, it's much easier to understand that any combination of wires is fine as far as the motor is concerned. UVW = VWU = WUV. UWV = WVU = VUW. Swapping 2 wires reverses the field rotation. All combinations are valid, just some are 120 or 240 degrees "shifted", which the single motor doesn't know or care about - it's how the controller creates a rotating field anyhow. :)

Where it would matter is if you had a motor with sensors - it's then quite important to make sure you've got the correct sensor with each winding in that application.

Yes any order is fine, also you have an F/R input. You might have to pull the EN high (+10v) to run
Do you have a dc power supply to run it?
-Mark

Last edited:
Yes any order is fine, also you have an F/R input. You might have to pull the EN high (+10v) to run
Do you have a dc power supply to run it?
-Mark

I dont have a dc power supply. can I use any power supply that is 20-50v and has at least 20% more watts than the motor?
Or is there a specific type I need?

are you using a pulse generator for the driver?

No. I was going to just get a basic power supply for it. that is 20-50v and has 20% more watts than the motor.
I honestly do not know much about brushless motors power needs. From what I understood, all I need is a power supply for it and that motor driver control box does everything else.
It came with a harness that has an on/off switch and a pot. pic below

Screenshot 2020-09-15 16.53.50.png

I think you are right, it must have an internal pulse generator. A 20-50 volt dc supply is all you should need.
If it does require an external pulse, a simple 555 timer ic would do the job
-Mark

Back