Wiring a Peerless motor to a furnas drum switch to a 1/2 HP Peerless motor on my Logan 825

Well gents, thank you all for your input... I have decided to follow one of my own rules::jester:

"Any job that is worth doing, is worth paying a professional to have it done correctly":whiteflag:

i brought the motor, the drum switch and my 110v cord to an electric motor repair shop to assure the motor is wired for 110 and to wire everthing up properly.

I'm sure it will cost less than the things i might have burned up with my " wire and try" system that has allowed me to buy soooo much new electrical parts over the years.
I will up date when I get it back from the shop.
Joe:nuts:

Dear Mr. joebiplane;

Your wisdom is large. I have found drum switches can fool the best of 'em.

By the way, you quite possibly have the greatest avatar on the web.

Keep us tuned in when you start slinging SWARF again!

Re: Wait, back the truck up!!!

Something is bugging me about this. You said the motor was originally wired for 110 but the 3 wires (T2,T3,C2) connected together would make me think the motor was wired for 220. Does the motor have a wire diagram for 110 vs 220 wiring?

Clueless......you hit the nail on the head::holdphone:........
The motor was wired for 220 !!!! The seller must have put the 110 plug on to demonstrate it.
The capacitor was in need of replacement ( according to the shop ). They tested everything out, re-wired the motor made me up a wiring diagram of what I now have and it fires right up with no more "spool -up" on start. The tab, including an ...upfront...$40.00 at drop off to check the motor out was $ 157.00. Shop rate is $85.00/hr. So I now have a motor that I can be confident about when I put the rebuilt Logan up for sale in the future. The motor and the bearings are about the only areas that a buyer can't see inside of when buying a used machine. Pretty much every other area of the lathe can be seen or tested for wear or runout before the buyer puts his money down. That's why I usually replace bearings in Logan's unless the bearings that came with it are known to be recent.
I thank you all for your input and interest. When I decide to sell it I will list it here first
Joe

Back