Wiring a Square D drum switch to a Westinghouse cap start motor?

jhuston

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi everyone, I'm trying to get my new-to-me Versa-Mil up and running, and I need to figure out the appropriate wiring diagram. You see, I'm using a Westinghouse 1/3hp capacitor start motor, and I want to control it through a Square D drum switch, but none of the diagrams in the switch cover are for a cap start motor.
50882762826_6716e7318e_c.jpg

50882873997_e6bb8068a8_c.jpg

Can anyone point me towards a wiring diagram? I can never visualize this sort of thing, and I need a picture.
Thanks,
-James Huston

Is it really a cap start motor? I don't see a cap in the photo
I see that to reverse the motor you swap the red and yellow leads. Question is, which yellow one? :)
Anyhow, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I see it's currently wired for 115 volts
Many drum switch diagrams don't show cap start motor configurations but the "split phase" one is closest
The switch you have is/was intended for a 3-phase motor so it may not show a single phase connection but it can be used
as long as we can identify the two reversing leads
-Mark

Last edited:
Step one: I believe these two are the red and yellow:
Mark them with tape because we will be removing them from the studs

Attachments

• untitled_1.jpeg
    untitled_1.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 16
Step two: Disconnect ONLY the Red and Yellow and extend them to reach the drum switch and ADD wires as shown to connect:
If switch handle is opposite from desired, swap Red and Yellow
Be sure to provide ground wire to motor case (not shown)
Be safe

Attachments

• SqDsw1.jpeg
    SqDsw1.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Are the spindle adaptors threaded? Or are they keyed with a drawbar as were the later iterations; If not keyed, you cannot use reverse spindle rotation, which would tend to loosen the adaptors in the spindle.

Good point John! I can always sketch a non-reversing hookup as well depending on his answer
-M

The motor does have a capacitor, which is cropped out of the photo. I was looking at the diagram for the split-phase motor, and I thought it would be similar, but I wasn't sure.
The Versa- Mil does have threaded arbors, so it can only mill one direction, but I have two of the grinding heads that can be mounted either direction, so the reversing switch will come in handy for that.

I wired the motor up according to the diagram, but it appears to be bypassing the start windings; the motor will run in either direction, but it requires a twist in the given direction to work, otherwise, it just hums. There are two leads coming out of the motor ( going off to the right in the photo) which are attached to power when the motor is wired up to a toggle switch.
We're making progress, now I just need to get the start winding/capacitor in the equation.
-James Huston

Hi James- does the motor work in one direction when you wire it without the drum switch? In other words is there an existing problem with the motor or does the problem only happen when connected to the drum switch?
Capacitor or internal centrifugal switch may be faulty
-Mark

I have the same VersaMill with nearly all the accessories, essentially unused, got it at an estate sale.

The motor works fine in the original wiring configuration if power is put to the two leads on the right in the photo.

benmychree, you're lucky. I have the Versa-Mil itself, the high speed milling head, and the internal and external grinder heads, but no feed table and only one arbor. I only paid twenty-five dollars for the lot, but still, it would be nice to have a few more pieces...
-James Huston

Back