Wiring in for 220?

But transformers are still $$$ even used.
How much to run a 7.5hp motor? If shipping wasn't so high, I've got a German made one that might work. The question is, does he have 3 phase? I think he said he had 240V but is it 3 phase?

I run the same size lathe, a 1944 Monarch 12”CK, on a 3HP motor with a VFD that takes 240V single phase input. Hopefully the motor on yours can be rewired for 220, but if not a used or NOS motor is an option

The best thing to do is either inspect the machine and look specifically at the motor data plate or ask the current owner to do so and send you some pics. As I mentioned in an earlier post these machines could be equipped from the factory with anywhere from a 3 hp to a 7 1/2 hp motor. The 3 hp motor will only draw 9.6 amps (3 phase) at full load. I run several 2 hp 3 phase machines off the same 220 V single phase circuit using static converters. Often times more than 1 is running at a time. The 20 amp 220 V single phase circuit breaker has never tripped in over 20 years. Full load for 2, 2hp motors is 13.6 amps. Unless you have a 5 hp motor or larger you should be able to run it off a 20-amp, 220-volt single phase circuit using either a VFD, rotary converter, or static converter.

Back