WJ200 - 2nd motor option

Scott-ak

Registered
Registered
I'm currently powering a 3hp lathe with a WJ200-022 and wonder about using the same unit to power a 3hp mill using the 2nd motor option. The lathe is wired so that it uses it's factory controls and just gets power from the VFD. All the mills functions are controlled its VFD.

Before you say RPC, I've looked. The freight costs almost as much as the RPC :(

Most of the control parameters and motor parameters will be different, it is not that it can't be done, but at the end of the day it is probably wiser and cost effective to buy a second VFD vs wiring up to both machines and switching back and forth. The VFD should be directly wired to the motor and not be subject to being switched in/out such as with contactors while running. I find the 2nd motor parameters to work better if you have something like two motors in the same machine and you would use one or the other. I have also used it for dual speed motors, but the results at least for me were disappointing. On the mill you can get by with something like a Teco L-510 which run around $180, and just use 3 wire control.

I found a "new open box" 5hp Baldor motor free shipping on ebay. If you can get the controls, and start solenoid figured out. It shipped to Hawaii free.

Back