Women's volleyball championships

Back in the dark ages when I was in high school I started to love volleyball. We had several intramural teams so I thought I'd try out for one. I knew I wasn't that good, and I knew I was never destined to be a starter when the coach commented, "Great effort, I liked the part when you jumped, your feet almost left the ground." My volleyball career went downhill from there, but I do still enjoy watching the game.
That's where I used to shine. I had a great vertical leap. But weight, age, knees, ankles and feet have taken a beating over the years. I don't block as often, since it hurts to land.. I loved blocking. My hitting suffered after my shoulder was rebuilt.. For years I could not follow through.. I think it was mental as much as physical. I still have a great serve, but there are times where I lose it... I never had that problem before, I always had great placement, and I could drive it, or float it (screw ball like).. these days for some reason if I get into a funk, it takes me a while to get it back... Very frustrating:bang head: since it's the least demanding compared to hitting and blocking. You have total control..

I had a friend like you, he said I really got up there one time, I said you didn't leave the ground... :laughing: He really didn't. He really took it hard.

Not that I'm a huge fan of volleyball , I've been watching women's beach volleyball aired late at night . AVB Possibly ? Puts me to sleep pretty quickly .

I was a wrestler in highschool and always short and stout never a reason to jump much. So not you're usual v-baller. But my best friend moved to SF and fell into a crowd that lived and breathed v-ball. So when I'd go to visit they were in GoldenGate Park if it was clear playing outside. That's where I got hooked. Then started taking classes. All sport is mental. If you think you can't do it, you can't. So I lived defense and learned to set. The tall guys couldn't dig the stuff I could and setters were few and far between. Everybody wanted to be a hitter. So I thought that was my only place.

After a while a guy I respected asked me why I was doing a soft block. I responded that's what we who can't jump do. He pointed out my hands were high enough where I could have roofed the hit. That was a revelation. Now all the sudden I could hit. What's weird is my timing for setting got off. Different mind set I guess. My favorite games were scrimmages with second string against the first string women's team.

I was a wrestler in highschool and always short and stout never a reason to jump much. So not you're usual v-baller. But my best friend moved to SF and fell into a crowd that lived and breathed v-ball. So when I'd go to visit they were in GoldenGate Park if it was clear playing outside. That's where I got hooked. Then started taking classes. All sport is mental. If you think you can't do it, you can't. So I lived defense and learned to set. The tall guys couldn't dig the stuff I could and setters were few and far between. Everybody wanted to be a hitter. So I thought that was my only place.

After a while a guy I respected asked me why I was doing a soft block. I responded that's what we who can't jump do. He pointed out my hands were high enough where I could have roofed the hit. That was a revelation. Now all the sudden I could hit. What's weird is my timing for setting got off. Different mind set I guess. My favorite games were scrimmages with second string against the first string women's team.
Very similar here. My defense is better than my offense, and my setting is better than my hitting. I like setting, I'm a short guy, was 5'10 now 5'9, I was down to 5'8 and my last 2 readings at the drs office showed 5'9" so not sure how I got taller. I have some severe compressed discs in the neck, and keep doing exercises to take the pain away. maybe it's working.

AVP Women's out of Hawaii . It's on now . :) Trying to stay awake .

Dave... Dave... Dave what are you doing ... 2001 a space odyssey... watching football, because I don't see any VB on right now. Ya got me all excited, and now what a letdown...

Back